Thursday, April 10, 2008

Of Baseballs and Hockey Pucks

Because I can't help myself. I can't stay away from all you fine people. As Mrs. Brave Astronaut would say, "I am my own worst enemy."

On April 10, 1961, President John F. Kennedy threw out the first pitch at Griffith Stadium as Vice President Lyndon Johnson and others looked on.
This was the last opening game ever played at Griffith Stadium. Kennedy recorded the longest and hardest-thrown ceremonial first pitch in history (made from the stands), which sailed over the heads of the reporters (seen in the foreground) and the players waiting for the pitch beyond that.

As many know, I was fortunate enough to have attended opening night for the Washington Nationals on March 30. While I was using a very poor performing digital camera (which has since been replaced), here are a couple of shots from that outstanding evening.

The new scoreboard that you can actually read.

The first President's Race at Nationals Park concludes - and Teddy didn't win . . .

The Center field gate at the end of Half Street. It's a new way in and it's nice.

While the Washington Nationals have hit the skids and are settling in for a likely long season, the Orioles were predicted to be historically bad. Go ahead, check the standings, they're 6 and 1, tops in the AL East. Who would have thought that?

And of course, the hockey playoffs have begun. While Archival Trash has done a nice job in making some predictions, here are mine. ADR, feel free to step up, although you did say you were refraining while your team is still in it. And I'll even give you that for this round - Lets Go Caps!

In the East:
  • Montreal Canadiens vs. Boston Bruins. The dance of the dynasties. I have to go with the formidable Canadiens, who backed into winning the Conference, when the Pengoons rolled over in their final game. Habs in 7. Sorry NJM. (In an interesting parallel, today marks the 61st anniversary of Branch Rickey buying the contract of Jackie Robinson from the Montreal Royals.)
  • Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Ottawa Senators. I like the Sens in this one. Possibly because I have no use for the Penguins. But after last night, I'm a little worried. Nonetheless, Sens in 6.
  • Washington Capitals vs. Philadelphia Flyers. In NHL history, no team has come from the bottom of the conference to win their division, as the Caps did. This is a good team and they are a force to be reckoned with. You can get all of your Caps propaganda over on ADR's blog, but I will say that I see the Caps in 5.
And the West:
  • Detroit Red Wings vs. Nashville Predators. The Red Wings were the best team (points wise) in the NHL this year. The have tradition, history, a couple of cups in their pockets and they should easily put away the Predators in 4.
  • San Jose Sharks vs. Calgary Flames. Again the Flames have a bit of a better pedigree than a fish that should be below the ice and not skating on it. AT believes this will be one of the better series to watch. After last night the Flames are up and I see Flames in 6.
  • Minnesota Wild vs. Colorado Avalanche. Who cares? The Avs have players out there on walkers. But experience should count for something. Avalanche in 5.
  • Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars. I still cannot comprehend that the Ducks are the defending Stanley Cup Champions. I'd like to pick Dallas here, but Anaheim should be able to dispatch the Stars in 5 games.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you really beleive that the Bruins are going to hold out long enough for 7? I don't, but I am a true New Englander when it comes to what I expect from my sports teams - not much.

Lana Gramlich said...

Go Habs!

Archivalist said...

Some pretty bold picks, there. Of course, it's easy for me to comment now that the Pens are up 3-0, and MIN and DAL are leading their series. If you're right about Calgary, look for many, many axes to fall in San Jose in the next few months.

Brave Astronaut said...

NJM - It would have been nice if the Bruins could have put up a little spark. But Montreal has certainly turned it up a notch.

Lana - see previous comment. Go Habs . . . for now.

Archivalist - This has been a very interesting first round. The games have been very good, but I am trying to not look directly at ADR as his team is looking a bit like a herd of deer in front of a Philadelphia Flyers truck at night.