Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Arc de Triomphe Gets a Makeover

Sacre Bleu! Some time ago, I spotted this story about one of the many monuments to grace the City of Light, Paris. The Arc de Triomphe was started on the orders of Napoleon, who declared to his troops, "I will bring you back to France. You will pass through arches of triumph on your way to your homes!" This was in 1805, after Napoleon's victory at Austerlitz. Construction began the following year. However, after that, things began to go downhill for Napoleon and he, of course, was removed from power and sent finally to the island of St. Helena, where he died in 1821. (One of the greatest palindromes around - Napoleon's alleged words upon arriving for his first exile on the island of Elba, "Able was I ere I saw Elba.") The arch was not completed until 1836 and has served as a backdrop for Paris scenes ever since. The arch now serves as a memorial to the unknown soldiers of France. In 1840, the remains of Napoleon were returned to Paris and passed under the arch on their way to their final resting place at Les Invalides. The arch has served as the backdrop for two state funerals, Victor Hugo in 1885 and Marshal Ferdinand Foch in 1929.

When the arch was finished, it contained a small museum that never saw very much traffic (well there's traffic - on the circle that surrounds the arch. Almost all travel guides will inform you to not attempt to cross the traffic circle, there's a tunnel underneath the roadway) and was poorly maintained. As the story explained, finally that has changed. The museum has undergone an extensive renovation, installing a new multimedia exhibition in the arch.

The arch will be prominently featured tomorrow when France will celebrate Bastille Day, marking the day when the monarchy of Louis XVI was toppled and the prison at the Bastille was stormed.

I am of French heritage. My father was born there and did not come to this country until he was seven years old. My grandfather was returned there after his death. He had served in the French army in World War I. My siblings and I were all given the opportunity to travel to France when we were teenagers to spend time with our French extended family. My trip to France took place 25 years ago. I can't believe it has been that long. Excuse me while I go and drag out the pictures I took and reminisce. Vive la France!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mon Deux! I'm sitting in Taipei, having eaten WAY too much yummy real Chinese food and watching a travel channel that is waxing poetic about all things July 14 (what the French call it after all), Bastille, and Paris when I read your blog. I guess it was meant to be. Taipei Weather today: drippingly humid, with a high around 34 (you do the math, I'm too braindead)
Philly Girl

Brave Astronaut said...

Philly - so the weather makes you feel just like home.