Thursday, October 29, 2009

Highs and Lows - Happy Halloween

Marking a high, 40 years ago today, someone threw a switch and the Internet was born (no, it wasn't Al Gore). So feel free to spend a little time down the rabbit hole today. Have some birthday cake.

As to the lows, today marks the 80th Anniversary of the first Stock Market Crash that sent the nation and the world spiraling into the Great Depression. What is that saying about history? "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it?" Yeah, something like that. Got any money in your wallet? Maybe we could all go trick or treating for money, instead of candy on Saturday. Remember Unicef boxes? If you are of a certain age, I'm sure you do.

LBA and SoBA will celebrate Halloween at their daycare tomorrow with a costume parade and then on Saturday there will a parade in town and later trick or treating around the neighborhood. Coming of age in the late 70s and early 80s, I trick or treated during the Tylenol scare, stories about razor blades in apples, and being forced to give up loose candy (which to this day I am convinced that it was just my parents way of getting the candy they liked - hey that's what I would do).

Trick or treating today is very much an organized, structured event. In my neighborhood, one only goes to lights with the porch light on, only from 6:00pm to 8:00pm, and never alone. It's a far cry from when I would hit the pavement moments after getting home from school and trick or treat on my own (usually covering most of my neighborhood - about 100 houses at least), arriving home at dark with a sack full of candy. Then there was the inevitable sorting, trading with siblings, losses to parents, etc. But I usually wound up with enough candy to survive a few weeks on sugar rushes.

I will take LBA trick or treating on Saturday, while Mrs. BA and SoBA will stay home to greet the neighborhood children. LBA is dressing up as a robot this year (handmade costume by yours truly) and SoBA will parade around as a fireman.

And if you are at a loss for something to do on Saturday and Halloween is not your thing, but lighthouses are, you could take a trip to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Cape May Lighthouse (New Jersey). I would go, but I've already climbed that lighthouse. Maybe some of you MARACians returning home from Jersey City will make the climb?

4 comments:

Catharine said...

Oh, the memories. So now you have kids so you don't have to dress up as "I'm young enough to go trick-or-treating." :)

BTW, I admit I have copied your graduation robe costume trick. I said I was a judge, though.

Lana Gramlich said...

I have to say, Halloween was never the same once I left LI. I waited all that time to reach adulthood so I could give out the candy & in that time, I think I've had 4 trick or treaters. In ALL that time. Things only got worse when I moved down here, where I'm surrounded by semi-fanatics who believe that Halloween is akin to "the Devil's holiday." *sigh* We have candy again this year & I'll get dressed up to give it out again. I just wonder if we'll get a single kid...

Lana Gramlich said...

BTW, for a "blast from the past," go here.

Brave Astronaut said...

Cat - that was a good time, wasn't it? When are we going to see you?!

Lana - we had a light turnout this year (weather-related). Great link. I remember many of those type of costumes.