Sunday, October 28, 2012

Oh, Sandy

So I spent today cleaning gutters and "battening down my hatches."  Yesterday after returning from a conference in Richmond, I went to the grocery store to get some provisions.  Of course, there was nary a D battery to be had anywhere.  I did manage to get some water - although the big bottles were being snatched up as soon as they came out of the box.

There seems to be some weird symmetry with my attending professional meetings and natural disasters - last year I was in Chicago for the DC earthquake and then came home early in advance of Hurricane Irene.  Now it's Hurricane Sandy, which is evidently to be transformed into "Frankenstorm" when it combines with a front racing across from the west.

My sister now lives in southern New Jersey and is poised to get the lion's share of the storm.  My other sister and father are on Long Island where there is also expected to be flooding and high winds.  It has just been announced that the federal government will be closed tomorrow - so the event that I was in charge of will have to be rescheduled.  Oh well.

The question is "do I have enough beer?"

No comments: