Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Can't Win

I have lamented here publicly about the traffic here in the DC area. This week I have been spared from the road warriors, as I have been working downtown and have been taking Metro. Today, I arrived at the station to get on the train, and found one waiting for me. Not unusual, until I realize it's not going anywhere. Cue the PA announcement. "Attention Customers, this train has been instructed to hold at this station due to a "fire situation" at Dupont Circle." The announcement continues to tell us (the train has filled up by now) that trains are holding up and down the Red Line and when they start, trains will single track through four stations around the Dupont Circle Station. (For those of you not from the DC area - you love the Metro, but ride it every day then come talk to me. And don't even get me started about the "untended luggage" at the Rockville station last night.) You can learn about all of these travel woes on the Metro here. So when we finally got moving, we did the slow crawl into the city. My normal twenty minute commute took me an hour. It's a good thing I love my job.

On another unrelated? note, today is the Ides of March, a particularly bad day for Julius Caesar. It's also proving to be a bad day for a few of my Big Dance picks. My Cinderella choices of GWU and Penn have been obliterated and I must have had a brain fade to have picked Stanford. I don't even like Tiger Woods, why would I pick his school? And with time running out, my Marquette pick ain't looking so good either. I mean, geez, it took them eight minutes to score their first basket. And Duke is having trouble with VCU, but that's not necessarily bad. Yes, I picked Duke, but that doesn't mean I like them.

No comments: