Monday, August 11, 2008

Coffee Popsicles to fight the Dog Days of August

The dog days of August are surely upon us. What better way to combat them than with these yummy popsicles. It also makes me think of my mother, who would often use the morning coffee to make iced coffee to have with dinner. I used to think that was a little icky, but then Starbucks got into the act, and I have come around.

I first saw this recipe on ChvChick, the companion to my good friends at ChvBlog.

Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup freshly ground espresso coffee
Directions
  1. Brew the coffee to a strong robust flavor. Using a French press, it takes approximately 10 minutes. I love French press but any other coffee brewing method would also work.
  2. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a separate bowl.
  3. Slowly pour the hot coffee into the bowl with the sweetened condense milk. Stir.
  4. Chill coffee and sweetened condensed milk mixture in the refrigerator until cool.
  5. Strain the coffee, if needed.
  6. Fill popsicle forms and place in freezer.
  7. Once frozen, pop out of the form and enjoy!
Makes four popsicles.

5 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I got seriously addicted to iced coffee in Japan, where it is very popular. I will absolutely make these, once we are in a place that has real summers -- which could happen fairly soon.

Eryl Shields said...

I'm either going to have to stop visiting you or take up fell running. This recipe totally reminds me of my father, he used to sweeten both tea and coffee with condensed milk, and eat condensed milk sandwiches.

Anna van Schurman said...

You've got to cold brew the coffee for iced coffee--it's SOOOO much better. We've got a pot in the fridge right now. Too bad it has been so cold lately.

Lana Gramlich said...

I've been a fan of iced coffee for a while, but popsicles sound fantastic! Perhaps dipped in Bailey's Irish Creme. Mmmmmmmmm.

Brave Astronaut said...

Mary - you going to have news to share with us? Is the Resident Alien relocating?

Eryl - Remember, until you make them, they are virtual calories. No charge.

Anna - cold brew? Que?

Lana - alright, that's getting a little decadent. And you don't drink!