Thanks to Scott (again!) for posting this recipe on his blog - Peanut Butter Balls. It of course, reminded me of those vintage commercials (I mean, really, who walks around with a jar of peanut butter?!)
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls
- 2 cups Peanut Butter (I prefer Skippy Extra Crunchy)
- 1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
- 1 TB Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Crisp Rice Cereal, crushed
- 2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 cups Milk Chocolate-Chips or Blocks
- 1 TB Shortening (or maybe food grade paraffin wax?)
Scoop peanut butter mixture into small-ish balls, no bigger than an inch wide. Roll into balls. Insert a toothpick into each one and place in the fridge to firm up. 30 minutes to an hour.
Melt chocolate and shortening in a double boiler or in the microwave until smooth. Keep warm, but off of the heat.
Using the toothpick and a spoon, dip and cover each ball with chocolate. Allow excess to drip off; place on a wax paper covered sheet. Place in the fridge to chill and allow the chocolate to fully set. When chocolate is firm, cover with wax paper and plastic wrap to keep fresh.