So, bad news. I used to work in New York, but not at the New York State Archives. Let me state for the record, I do not know this individual. But he certainly gives the profession a bad name. Take your pick on any of the links below.
- Archivist Accused of Stealing Artifacts - AP
- State Worker Admits He Stole Historical Artifacts - Newsday (Long Island)
- A History Buff Uncovers Thefts of American History Treasures - New York Times
- New York State Employee Arrested for Selling Historic Documents on eBay - Information Week
- Man Arrested in eBay Sale of Historic Documents - Reuters
In other news, my father arrived today. Tomorrow he is on his own in Washington, DC, so if you see a lost 79-year old on the National Mall, call me. Saturday, we may head toward Annapolis to see the Naval Academy or in the other direction to see how the Marines do museums.