Friday, March 6, 2009

One Down, Three to Go

I found out that I lost an election today. As many of you know, I was a candidate for Chair of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC), the professional organization of which I have been a member since becoming an archivist nearly fifteen years ago. I am certainly disappointed in the outcome, it was an election I had really hoped to win. My opponent was a formidable candidate and she will do a great job. I will hope for the opportunity to run for the job again in two years. I really believe in the organization and look forward to the chance at helping the group continue to move forward. In a very conciliatory note from the Chair-elect, she has offered me an opportunity to serve the organization that I really do love. I hope to have some opportunity to help.

I am also a candidate for Nominating Committee for the Society of American Archivists, my national professional organization. That voting will commence next week. If chosen to be a member of the Nominating Committee, I will have a voice in selecting the next leaders of the Society. There is a lot going on in our profession right now and it is essential for us to have strong leadership to guide our profession in the right directions. So look for my name on your SAA ballot, if you are a member. I would appreciate your support. Here at my employer, I am coming to the end of my first term as the Treasurer of the staff professional association. I have agreed to run for a second term. So we will see how that one turns out.

Finally, I have made a decision to run for town council in my hometown. It is an idea that I have thought about for several months, after discussions with several of my neighbors and community members. The incumbent has decided to run for another term, but I have some ideas that I feel would benefit my town and would like the opportunity to make a difference for my community. So if you live in Cheverly, in my Ward, I'll be coming around to see you. I will look forward to hearing your ideas. That election will take place in early May.

4 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Best of luck w/all of the remaining 3 opportunities! I'm voting for you in spirit. :)

6th Floor blog said...

Good luck with the new campaign! (btw, updated our URL, if you could fix the link. (http://www.ceetar.com/6thfloor))

Brave Astronaut said...

Thanks Lana. I had someone just ask me if I was frustrated in school and that I was trying to make up for something. I never did get elected to any office in HS.

6th Floor - updated! I had it in my reader but not here. Thanks.

Amphyx said...

Good luck on running!! I currently serve on our community HOA board which is an interesting experience. Later this year I'm hoping to run for our CDD, which is like a Town Council, but we don't have to deal with fire/police (which are county). I'm itching to run!! Talk soon!