Friday, May 21, 2010

It's Prom Night and Cheverly Day Tomorrow

Tonight here in our lovely little town is the social event of the Spring, known as ChvProm. We were offered tickets and I persuaded Mrs. BA to have the night out - but I am there going stag as we couldn't get a babysitter and Mrs. BA stayed home for movie night with the boys. We hadn't bought tickets and the event was sold out, but I scored a ticket at local pol, Victor Ramirez's table - so I'm in. Although, I was never really a prom kind of guy anyway, as these stories will illustrate, now that I'm older, I like it.

When I was in 9th grade, I bought tickets to the 9th grade formal, with the anticipation that was going to go to the dance. However, that didn't happen, and I wound up burning the tickets in some weird display with my friends. It gets worse. In high school, I was asked to the senior prom by a girl in my class. I went so far as almost buying tickets, when the girl came to me and told me that her ex-boyfriend had asked her to the prom and she was going with him.

I did have one good prom experience - another senior prom, this time in Huntsville, Alabama. A girl that I had met and seen on a few occasions (she was from there, I lived in NY - it was a girl scout connection - some day I might let you in on how I was in many ways one of the luckiest guys around - I mean, whose mother brings 20-30 girls through your house every summer?) invited me to her senior prom and a good time was had by all. A secondary story here is that I went to this prom in a full leg cast - another good story, which I might need to tell as it is 25 years ago this year).

I also noted with interest this history of the Prom from Time Magazine.

ChvProm is the event that kicks off the festivities for tomorrow, which is Cheverly Day in our little town. I will be involved in a number of activities including the annual East vs. West softball game (two years ago, I went 3 for 4 with 2 RBIs). From there, we will most likely adjourn to the St. Ambrose Mens Club Beer Garden, where as a member in good standing, I will likely be filling pitchers for a shift.

Cheverly Day will conclude with a fireworks display that is very impressive. I think it has everything to do with the fact that you get to sit up close, where if the wind is blowing the right way, it is not unusual to have debris flutter down on you. Good times, really.

No comments: