Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What Could I Be Doing? Part III

In my previous two related posts (Part I and Part II), I remarked about my "professional life" and then answered some questions about being an archivist. Finally, here today, I wanted to address what I could be? want to be? doing with my life. (I have to admit that I am a little proud of myself - I have found the time to write for the blog - I thank everyone for sticking with me).

Recently, I went through a few days where I wasn't feeling 100%. I wasn't exactly sure what it was, I thought I had a cold, then it got worse and felt like the flu, and so I finally went to the doctor. He put me on a run of steroids which made me feel 1000 times better. So whatever it was, the steroids killed it. And I'm getting a flu shot. And next week I'm getting a physical.

But while home sick at least one of those days I realized that I probably wouldn't be happy doing nothing for the rest of my life. But I would like to at least give it the old college try. Daytime TV is a barren wasteland (now that I don't watch the "soaps" anymore) although occasionally you score with the good movie. A few weeks ago it was the Airport 1975 and I am a HUGE sucker for the disaster flick. Then again, my point is still if I were to win the lottery and didn't have to work, I would still want to do something.

So what would I do? One thing I have always wanted to do was run my own restaurant. Mrs. BA, OSG, and Mrs. OSG even flirted with the idea a few years ago. I would still consider this one day. But on the "heavy workload" scale, that one is certainly at the top of the list.

I have been writing a novel for the better part of the last several years. One day I am going to finish it and see if I could get it published. I think it's a pretty good story. I also have a few ideas for non-fiction books. So if I had all the time in the world, I would write more.

As an employee of the federal government, I am not allowed to participate in partisan elections. As many of you know, I ran for Town Council last year (a non-partisan position) and am considering running again. I have always loved politics and I truly believe in the concept of public service and would like the opportunity to work for the people in my community. Maybe someday, if I am out of the federal service, I might think about some higher office.

So what's in your pipe [dream]? What would you do differently if you could?

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

This is related to the "what would you do if you won the lottery?" kind of question. And if your answer is change your life completely, then clearly you're not living the kind of life you want.

We set about changing our lives several years ago after we went through a crisis (or many). These days, if we won the lottery then yes we'd buy a nice house, a good car, have a few holidays - but after things had settled down, Maggie would continue to want to do her art and I would continue to want to do my photography.

We might have a bigger house with a nice view and a better car, but fundamentally our day to day life probably wouldn't change that much.

The only really big thing I would love to change is to not have the CFS, but that's not money related

Brave Astronaut said...

Kim - it's funny, when I started to write this post it was very much like the lottery question. Even if I found myself in a position where I didn't need the money, I would still want to do what I like doing, which for now, is archives work. But I might do it from Bermuda.

Lana Gramlich said...

Ironically I got back into art (again,) because I started working part-time and needed something to fill my free time with something constructive. It's turned into it's own, full-time job (on TOP of the part-time job,) and despite my hard and constant work, I'm definitely still in the "starving artist" category.
I don't know what I'd use to replace it, however. Up until I was ripped off by a local businessman I was content to continue on as I have. Now I'm seriously considering quitting painting (again,) and focusing solely on photography, which is easier, less costly (financially AND emotionally,) and brings in a lot more $ with a lot less effort.
People try to encourage me, stating that if I quit painting, the unscrupulous businessman "wins." I don't see it as win or lose. I've been losing sleep over this. I have no desire to paint (which only causes me emotional pain over the issue.) I see it as doing what I need to do for my happiness, at least for now.
I'm still thinking about suing, even though that's unlikely to work out, after all. I just want to stop aching about it. I really do.