Monday, August 8, 2011

Grilled Cheese

When my mother was pregnant with me, she and my father went on an extended holiday to France. My father and grandfather would sit down to dinner each evening for an enormous meal, which would send my mother's stomach into somersaults. She would excuse herself and ask for a grilled cheese sandwich to be sent up to her room.

It is for this reason, I feel, that I am not a big fan of grilled cheese sandwiches. However, now as a father of two small boys, I find myself making them. We often have a variation of grilled cheeses (Mexican grilled cheese - the quesadilla, the Italian grilled cheese - pizza, or the American grilled cheese).

Evidently April was / is grilled cheese month. Here's a number of recipes that one can make to enjoy the melted cheesy breaded goodness, of which I have picked my favorite to share for Recipe Monday.

Barbecue Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
from Veronica's Cornucopia
  • 2 slices Texas toast
  • 2-3 T barbecue sauce
  • 2 oz sliced sharp or smoked cheddar cheese
  • 4-6 slices cooked bacon
  • 1 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • Butter or margarine
Heat a skillet over medium. Spread the barbecue sauce over the bread slices, then over one slice arrange cheddar cheese slices, bacon over that, then sprinkle the Monterey Jack over the bacon. Top with remaining bread slice. Melt some butter or margarine in the skillet and place the sandwich on top of the puddle, scooting it around until the bread absorbs the butter. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until cheddar looks melted, then remove and melt more butter in the pan, flip the sandwich and cook additional 4 minutes and serve hot.

Makes one sandwich.

Veronica's Notes: Your sandwich will require several minutes less cooking time if you use regular bread. Also, the Monterey Jack isn't necessary but I like to glue the bacon, cheese and bread all together by putting cheese on both sides. Change it up as you desire!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For some reason, I'm not a fan of the traditional American grilled cheese sandwich (and I despise it when paired with tomato soup), but I like a good grilled ham and cheese.