Of course, as the father of two and a federal employee, I am constantly exposed to germs - the first because that's what small children do, carry around germs (in fact SoBA went down with a fever on the day I went to the doctor) and the second because well, if you don't have the leave or feel a sense of needing to go to work, you bring your germs with you to the office and share them around.
One of the other benefits of being a federal employee however is getting free flu shots. Which I did this year - although I learned later it is only about 60% effective this year, and we are in the midst of a pretty bad flu season. I don't think I had the flu, I think I just got sick. When I do get sick, I sometimes say that I "feel like a bucket of warm spit." When I had my infection - I would have loved to feel like warm spit. It would have been a step up.
I found this BuzzFeed post in my reader a few weeks ago and, had I had the energy - I would have tried several of them to try and feel better.
Honey Ginger Lemon "cocktail"
Don't let cold and flu season knock you for a loop. Stock up on this home cold & flu remedy before the cold weather sets in. It's even delicious when you're feeling great!
For a long time, honey, ginger, and lemon have been recognized for their homeopathic properties. When combined, they make a knock-out remedy against a myriad of ailments. This elixir will relieve many of the symptoms that accompany flu, cold, infection and inflammation. Just check out some of the natural properties of these ingredients:
- Honey: antibacterial, antioxidant, antitumor, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral
- Ginger: antiviral, anti-inflammatory, aids digestion, effective against human respiratory syncytial virus
- Lemon: antiseptic, aids digestion, great source of calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, bioflavonoids
- Fresh lemon
- Fresh ginger
- Raw honey*
- Slice lemon into quarters and pack into jar
- Grate ginger, and add to lemon (the amount is up to you - the more the better, I say!)
- While stirring, fill jar with honey
And for a portable version, make your own cough drops!
* Please note: honey is not intended for use by children under 12 months of age.