Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Back to the Electronic Records!

Tomorrow would have been the day that I was scheduled to return to my desk in Electronic Records at my place of employment.  However - for the past week, since October 1 - I have been furloughed from my job due to a lack of appropriations - the budget.

Washington has been a ghost down since the shutdown began.  You have all surely read of the trials and tribulations going on here in the nation's capital.  I am going to keep my tongue and not let fly with the expletives and other salty commentary.

Suffice to say, I would prefer to be back at work.  I have been keeping myself busy at home, doing some records management, house cleaning, and taking care of LBA and SoBA - who have been taken out of aftercare for the duration of the shutdown.

There is no sign of any progress of resolving this in the near future - so for now, we will sit and wait.

As far as the electronic records waiting for me back at work - they have been worked on in my institution for about forty years and thirty years ago, computers began to appear in most places of business, including the New York Times.  From scribd via kottke.

Employees of the Old Gray Lady were instructed to make sure that "nothing should be in the computer that isn't totally relevant to the production of The Times."  If individuals want to send "indiscreet or potentially embarrassing messages," they should continue to use The Times' typewriters.

No comments: