Here's a recipe from Epicurious - it calls for a pre-made pie shell - but she made the dough from scratch.
Lemon Chess Pie
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Finely grated zest of 3 large lemons
- Juice of 3 large lemons
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- One 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Combine the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a medium- size bowl. Beat the eggs in, one by one, then add the butter in a slow stream, beating all the while.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell, slide the pie onto a baking sheet, and bake on the middle oven shelf for about 45 minutes or until puffed and delicately browned.
- Transfer the pie to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before cutting; don't fret when the filling begins to fall. This is what gives chess pies their silken texture. Cut into slim wedges and serve.