These might have to be made in her honor. Via Spoon University
Girl Scout Cookie Upgrade: Tagalongs with Bittersweet Chocolate and Sea Salt
Prep Time: 60 – 80 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
Total Time: about an hour and a half
Servings: 32 cookies
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate morsels
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup bittersweet morsels (I used Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chocolate, but anything that has a 60% cocoa content or more is a good option)
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together confectioner sugar and room-temperature butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add salt then slowly add flour until combined. Dough should be crumbly but not over-mixed.
- Press cling-wrap gently onto surface of dough then refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- As dough refrigerates, preheat oven to 350ºF.
- After 20-30 minutes of chilling, form dough into a large ball then place onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Use a a 2-inch round cookie cutter (or if you lack such a thing like me, use a 1/4 cup measuring cup) to cut out the cookies and place rounds 1/2-inch apart on a baking sheet. Re-roll leftover dough and continue to cut out until all dough is used.
- Place cookies into preheated oven for 13-15 minutes, or until just beginning to brown around the edges.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- As the cookies cool, heat peanut butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until it reaches the consistency of a thick milkshake: it should be liquefied but not runny.
- Reduce heat to low and add confectioner sugar, butter and vanilla to saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and using a knife, spread approximately 2 teaspoons of peanut butter mixture onto each cookie. Try and spread it out as smoothly as possible so the surface is even for dipping in chocolate.
- Place peanut butter-topped cookies in the refrigerator for the topping to set (approximately one hour).
- To melt the chocolate for dipping, start by combining the milk chocolate morsels and shortening in a microwave-safe container.
- Microwave on half power for 30-second intervals, stirring after each time until chocolate has completely melted.
- For dipping, place cookie peanut-butter side down into melted chocolate.
- Submerge into chocolate so that the edges are completely covered and the chocolate begins to get on the bottom of the cookie (but do not completely dunk the cookie).
- Remove from the chocolate and continue to hold cookie upside down so excess chocolate drips down back into the bowl.
- Flip cookie over and place on baking sheet or large, flat surface lined with wax paper.
- Continue dunking in milk chocolate until half of the batch of cookies are coated.
- For the second half, melt the bittersweet chocolate with shortening following the same method as the milk chocolate.
- Once the cookies have been dipped in the bittersweet chocolate, sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on each.
- Place all cookies in the refrigerator and chill until chocolate coating sets!
- Choose your side: milk chocolate or bittersweet chocolate. Or just eat them all.