Chocolate Oatmeal Banana Bread
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 50 mins
Total time 1 hour
- 3 overripe medium-sized bananas
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. canola oil (or your preferred cooking oil)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- Optional: an extra tablespoon of oats and semi-sweet chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place the bananas in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or the back of a fork. There should be 1 cup of mashed bananas.
- Add the sugar, apple sauce, eggs, oil, and vanilla to the bananas. Whisk until well blended.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl. Mix just until all of the flour has been incorporated. Add the oats. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Optional: Sprinkle the top of the batter with oats and chocolate chips.
- Place the pan on the middle oven rack. Bake for 50-60 minutes. A toothpick inserted near the center of the bread should come out with some moist crumbs, but no raw batter on it.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Serving size: 1/10th
Saturated fat: 0.6