Here's a recipe to help keep my eyes open, From A Cookie Named Desire via BuzzFeed.
COFFEE FLAVORED CAKE WITH WHIPPED MOCHA GANACHE
PREP TIME 55 MINS
COOK TIME 30 MINS
TOTAL TIME 1 HOUR 25 MINS
A rich and moist coffee flavored cake that tastes just like your favorite cup of coffee in cake form. Finished with a mocha ganache for a truly decadent treat.
Serves: 1 layer cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (if using fresh nutmeg, cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 cup room temperature brewed coffee
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Whipped Mocha Ganache
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 - 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (depending on the intensity you like)
- pinch of salt
- 16 oz semisweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8" round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, espresso powder, and sugar together. Stir to combine well.
- In a separate bowl, add the oil, milk, coffee, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk well until completely combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in three batches, mixing gently between each addition.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the baking pans and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Allow to cool in the pans for about 20 minutes. Gently run a knife between the cake and pan, then gently remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, preferably overnight.
- Heat the heavy cream, espresso powder, and salt in a saucepan until it is starts to boil. Remove from heat and add the chocolate. Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then stir to melt the chocolate and combine with the cream. Do not stir until after the 10 minutes or else the frosting will end up grainy! Chill in the refrigerator until completely chilled. At least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Pour the ganache in a mixer and whisk on high until doubled in volume and light in color.
- Cut the two cakes in half to make four even layers. Slather the whipped ganache on each layer of the cake and layer the cakes on top of each other. Run an offset spatula on the sides of the cake to smooth the ganache on the sides.