Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Review: A Christmas Carol

I ushered tonight at Ford's Theater. It was opening night (for press) of Ford's presentation of A Christmas Carol. The adaptation takes place at the time of Charles Dickens' visit to Washington, DC in 1867. The play begins with Mr. Dickens taking the stage and reading "his" story to the audience. The play gets underway with the actor playing Dickens assuming the role of Ebenezer Scrooge.

Many of the actors that appeared in last year's production returned for this year, including the three ghosts and Bob Cratchit. There is a new actor playing Scrooge and he is exceptional. There were a number of small children in the audience tonight and it might be too scary for very small children, but grown-up children should take the time to see it. I am sure the Washington Post will have a more extensive review this week.

Going to see this play and the fact that Thanksgiving is but one day away, means that Christmas is around the corner. I am not ready for the holiday yet and am having trouble finding the Christmas spirit. Those who know me know why, but I am hopeful that I will find a little trove of spirit tucked away among the decorations.

1 comment:

Sean Carter said...

The play would be a great idea!! Meanwhile you can jus peep into my Holiday Blogfor some Christmas ideas..that might help you to kindle your spirit!!!