Sunday, November 5, 2006

Roy Rogers and the Loss of Plentiful Fried Chicken

Several years ago, when I was living in Poughkeepsie, New York, there was a Roy Rogers fast food restaurant near my home. There had been several as well, near my parent's house on Long Island. I enjoyed eating there, especially the fried chicken. Suddenly, one day on my way home, the local Roy's was closed, followed quickly by several others in the Hudson Valley. I was left to the New York State Thruway rest areas as my only outlet for the chicken that I had become addicted to.

So I wrote a letter. I managed to find an address for the Roy Rogers franchise headquarters and in the process determined that Roys had been bought out by Hardees and was in the process of either closing or converting many of them to another restaurant. I explained in my letter how much I enjoyed the chicken and other items on the menu and sent off the letter, expecting to hear nothing from it.

One evening I come home from work and there is a message from someone at the corporate offices of Roy Rogers. She actually goes on to apologize for the closing of Roy Rogers restaurants and hopes that I will continue to patronize the remaining restaurants. Which I still do. And evidently they are on the rise once again. Franchise anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey there are 2 Roy Rogers very close to our house. Will you NOW consider moving to Lorton?

the mitchems

Anonymous said...

6-17-08 At the Roy Rogers in Shirley, NY (Long Island),I called to discuss a complaint I had with the manager, Ray. He refused to give his last name, but his accent told me he was from India or Pakistan. He had not returned my call and when I asked why, he said that he believed it was because a Spanish-speaking employee did not understand me, the customer. I asked how he felt about that, he said he had no problem with an employee who wasn't able to communicate in English and felt that speaking English was not an important factor in doing business in the United States. When I explained that English was the language of our foundational documents such as the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, he denounced them as being unimportant.