Monday, July 28, 2008

Sangria Recipes

Growing up in New York, a popular destination was Beefsteak Charlies, where the plentiful all-you-can-eat Salad Bar also featured peel-and-eat shrimp. Their ads also featured "all the beer, wine, and sangria, you could drink." Does anyone wonder why they aren't in business anymore?

Here, by popular request, are two sangria recipes. The first comes from NJM and it is for red sangria:
The basics, as I learned them in Segovia, are:
  • A bottle of half decent red wine
  • up to a cup of some sort of spirits: gin, brandy, or citrus (or fruit) vodka, depending on how strong you want it
  • the juice of a lemon, a lime and an orange
  • some sugar - up to about half a cup depending on the quality of the wine and the amount of added spirits
  • a lemon, a lime and an orange sliced.
Combine all in a pitcher. Add lots of ice. Serve.
The second recipe was for a white sangria featured at little OSGs birthday party. However, that recipe has not yet come through the tubes. NJM related a recipe to me verbally this afternoon, but I didn't have my mental pen handy and didn't get it all down. I am sure that she will be happy to put the recipe in the comments section though. Same goes for Mrs. OSG, if she finds the recipe in her inbox.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had to make it up, as I did yesterday, I'd start with a bottle of Cava (or the sparlking wine of your choice). Add a bit of peach schnapps, sliced peaches and maybe some raspberries. Again all in a pitcher with a ton of ice.

6th Floor blog said...

ooo, that sounds delicious. (the comment above)

I think Sangria is in general one of those 'stew' type recipes where you basically throw anything together taht you like and it tastes delicious. Some like it stronger (add rum, triplesec, etc), some a little weaker (add club soda/orange soda) some white, some red. I don't think I've ever had a sparkling one, but that really sounds excellent.

I don't think you can ever go wrong taking whichever fruit is in season.

Anonymous said...

Here's another one - from The Splendid Table newsletter.

White Peach Sangria
Excerpted from 101 Sangrias & Pitcher Drinks by Kim Haasarud (Wiley, 2008). Copyright © 2008 by Kim Haasarud. Used with permission of the publisher

Serves about 7

1 bottle Moscato d'Asti
1 cup peach nectar
3/4 cup creme de peche (peach liqueur)
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 peaches, pitted and sliced
1 lemon, cut into half-wheels
Combine all of the ingredients in a large ceramic or glass container and stir well. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours. Serve over ice. Garnish with peach slices.

Frozen Peachy Sangria Variation: Using the same ingredients as above, combine everything in a blender (except for the lemons) with 2 cups of ice. Blend until smooth. Garnish with peach wedges.

Ellen said...

Mmmm. Sangria. All of these versions sound delish.

And I hadn't thought of Beefsteak Charlie's in eons. I can hear their obnoxious jingle in my head now... "You're gonna get spoiled, at Beefsteak Charlie's tonight."

Lana Gramlich said...

OMG...I'd forgotten all ABOUT Beefsteak Charlie's! My bro & I used to split pitchers of birch beer there when we were young.

Brave Astronaut said...

And finally, here's the one from Mrs. OSG, who got it from her sister . . . and also seemingly improvised but very tasty:

So, here's the thing We took some liberties with the recipe and liked how it turned out. But I guess that's the nice thing about sangria, it's easily adaptable. Also, we doubled the recipe since it calls for half a bottle of everything. They must have anticipated the doubling...

1 bottle white zinfandel (we used 2 bottles of a sweetish Sauvignon Blanc for the double recipe) 1/2 bottle of peach schnapps (used the whole bottle) 1/2 can pineapple juice (see where I'm going with this?) 1 liter of 7-UP or Sprite (2 liters) cut up peaches (we also added blueberries and raspberries, but I'm sure the varieties are many)

It was good and seemed to be enjoyed by the whole crowd.