Friday, October 10, 2008

The 100 Greatest Movie Posters of All-Time

I am of course, in the middle of entertaining my father and his new girlfriend. Maybe I can get him to go to a movie - but he would probably want to sit in the balcony, if you catch my drift. But we are getting a sitter and at least are having a nice dinner out. So here's a discussion item to keep you occupied.

Do you go and see a movie based on the poster? Well, maybe sometimes. Then again, going out to movies these days is a rare treat. So for that matter, I am impressed that I have seen 22 of the films, but many of them are from the days when I went to the movies once a week.

The list was seen first on, of course, kottke. How many of them have you seen? Do you agree with the list? Comment away.

The 100 Greatest Movie Posters.

9 comments:

Special K. said...

Hope the rest of the weekend goes all right.

29--and I was trying only to count movies that I'm sure I've seen all the way through. There were a lot that I've seen most of at various points on TV.

And, no, the poster really has nothing to do with it. In fact, for some of these--old and new--I had never seen the poster at all.

Go Phillies!

Eryl Shields said...

I'm shocked to find that I have seen 54 of them, some several times, no wonder I never get any work done! I love movie posters but I have never knowingly been to see a movie because of the poster. Though it is possible that they work on a subliminal level.

Kim Ayres said...

I've seen 41 of them, and I'm taping Straw Dogs tonight as it's on TV and I've never seen it.

Mind you, if your father is visiting, why don't you take advantage to let grandpa babysit while you and the missus go to the cinema?

Lana Gramlich said...

What? No "Raiders of the Lost Ark" poster? Really? Not even better than "The 40 Year Old Virgin" poster...really?

Anna van Schurman said...

It was 20-something. I don't see a lot of the kind of movies where they make great posters apparently. Movie posters don't attract me, hell movie trailers don't even do it for me. So.much.crap.

Brave Astronaut said...

Special K - Sorry, Dodger Blue is where I'm at.

Eryl - You are the big winner!

Kim - Would you leave Rogan and Meg with your father and his new girlfriend? It gives new scary meaning to "get off the babysitter." :)

Lana - I agree.

Anna - Yes, but posters do serve a purpose

Kim Ayres said...

Actually I would, but then that's because his girlfriend is an old family friend who's been in our lives for many many years. It just would have been easier if a bit more time had elapsed after my mother's death.

Unknown said...

I've only seen 19 of them. I didn't include the ones that I've probably seen all the way through only because DH insists on watching them whenever they're on the TV.

Brave Astronaut said...

C - oh, my number would be much higher if I counted like that, too.