Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's the Spring MARAC Meeting - It Must Be Time for Playoff Hockey

The Brave Astronaut family is off to Charleston, WV for the Spring 2009 MARAC meeting. Tomorrow night is also the first night of playoff hockey. Here are my predictions and comments for the first round of the playoffs.

In the East:
  • Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens: The Bruins were the best team in the East all season. The Canadiens were touted at the beginning of the season as being the team to beat, yet they limped into the playoffs. I don't expect it to be close. Bruins in 5.
  • Washington Capitals vs. New York Rangers: This series has resulted in some tension at the lunchtable. I take a fair amount of heat for my allegiance to my New York teams, although I am not very happy with the pinstriped baseball boys. But I am a devout Ranger fan. Which makes this prediction all that harder. I don't think the Rangers can do it again this year. Caps in 6.
  • New Jersey Devils vs. Carolina Hurricanes: I really don't like the Devils. Really. And I think the Canes can knock them down a few notches. Canes in 6.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Philadelphia Flyers: Can I just root for injuries in this series? I don't care who wins this series, but I think the edge goes to the Pengoons. Penguins in 7.
And on to the West:
  • San Jose Sharks vs. Anaheim Ducks: Despite a Stanley Cup win, I still can't acknowledge the existence of a team named for a Disney movie. And the Sharks have played really good hockey all season. Sharks in 4.
  • Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: The defending Stanley Cup champion Wings have their work cut out for them with the Blue Jackets, who have finished the season very strong. But experience should win out over the upstarts. Red Wings in 7.
  • Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues: The Canucks sit in the Brave Astronaut memory banks as the team the Rangers beat to win their last Stanley Cup in 1994. I prefer the Blues, returning to the playoffs after a long drought. Blues in 6.
  • Chicago Blackhawks vs. Calgary Flames: Chicago, one of the original six hockey teams has a long history. The Flames have been around for a while however, but the Blackhawks are the better team. Blackhawks in 4.

4 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Columbus Blue Jackets??? When did THAT happen? Of course, being Canadian, I am obligated by my Citizenship Oath to root for Montreal.
Charles & I joke sometimes about "what if the actual mascots were playing the game?" As in, bears playing against cardinals & the like. We don't get out enough, though. *L*

Lana Gramlich said...

Carolina Hurricanes? That one's new on me, too...Leave Canada for a few short years & the NHL goes crazy...

6th Floor blog said...

Let's go Rangers!..although, the way they've been playing, they'll be lucky if it's Caps in 6.

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - The NHL is a crazy place. I'm still waiting for a return to the original six teams.

6th - Now with the Rangers comfortably ahead 2-0, I'm beginning to wonder if I might have guessed wrong.