Saturday, August 1, 2009

I Object! Now Get the Hell Out of My Way

The results of the National Drivers Test for 2009 have been released. New York, the state of my birth and where I learned to drive, ranked last. Further, the list ranks Maryland drivers worse than Virginia drivers and that is just a load of crap. And then again DC drivers fare even worse than that. The Brave Astronaut clan is off today for a family function in Delaware, which brings up a whole new set of issues of traffic and road rage.

Think you know what you're doing out there on the road? Take the National Drivers Test and find out. I got 75%. And I am from New York, where the first thing one does when buying a new car is rip out the turn signal and throw it out the window . . .

State Rankings

Note: Many states tied for the same position in the rankings.

1 IDAHO
1 WISCONSIN
3 MONTANA
4 KANSAS
5 SOUTH DAKOTA
5 NEBRASKA
7 UTAH
8 WYOMING
8 IOWA
8 OREGON
8 MINNESOTA
12 ALASKA
12 NORTH DAKOTA
14 VERMONT
15 COLORADO
15 MISSOURI
17 OKLAHOMA
17 WASHINGTON
19 NEW MEXICO
20 NORTH CAROLINA
21 VIRGINIA
22 INDIANA
22 MICHIGAN
24 ARKANSAS
24 TEXAS
26 ALABAMA
26 NEVADA
28 WEST VIRGINIA
29 ILLINOIS
30 ARIZONA
31 MAINE
32 DELAWARE
33 NEW HAMPSHIRE
34 OHIO
35 KENTUCKY
36 PENNSYLVANIA
37 LOUISIANA
38 TENNESSEE
38 MISSISSIPPI
40 SOUTH CAROLINA
40 MARYLAND
42 CONNECTICUT
43 FLORIDA
44 DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
45 MASSACHUSETTS
46 RHODE ISLAND
47 GEORGIA
48 CALIFORNIA
49 HAWAII
50 NEW JERSEY
51 NEW YORK

8 comments:

J in PA said...

An 85% for me, but I'm a Pennsylvanian. We ranked 36th.

ScottE. said...

Now I know I'm RIGHT! I'm from Wisconsin and drivers do things foolish and I yell at them...I am RIGHT!!! Ha.

stinkypaw said...

I managed a 75%, woot! And I'm Canadian! ;-)

pcw said...

PA must be the home of better drivers. I scored 85%. Or maybe it's only PA archivists.

6th Floor blog said...

I got 85% from NY. I didn't answer what I would do though, just what I thought was 'right'.

You gotta know them to ignore them right?

Brave Astronaut said...

J in PA - You're a very safe driver. You drive slow on the driveway?

Scott - Yes, but in Wisconsin, don't you have more cows than cars? :)

Paw - You have permission to drive on this side of the border.

PCW - I have no problem with PA drivers.

6th Floor - First rule of NYC driving, you don't need rear view mirrors. Second rule of NYC driving, Taxis and buses have the right of way all the time. Forget rule number 2 and you will not need to worry about rule 1, they'll be taken off by the bus or cab.

Lana Gramlich said...

I got 95% (& I learned to drive in NY, too. ;) *L*
Don't feel badly...when I lived in Toronto it was statistically proven at that time that it had the world's worst drivers. This was shown to me 3 weeks into my residency, when a cab sideswiped my rear quarter panel. <:(

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - Canadians have their own issues. Glad to hear you are on the mend.