from Betty Crocker
- 1 box Betty Crocker® pound cake mix
- Water and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1/2 lb rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 boxes (4-serving size each) vanilla pudding and pie filling mix (not instant)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen (thawed) whipped topping
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup medium-size whole strawberries, if desired
- Shredded orange peel, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for one 9-inch loaf or two 8-inch loaves, using water and eggs. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix rhubarb, sugar and orange juice. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender and mixture starts to thicken slightly. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled. Stir in sliced strawberries.
- While rhubarb mixture is cooling, in 2-quart saucepan, mix pudding mix and milk. Cook over medium heat 6 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Cool 15 minutes. Press plastic wrap directly on pudding to prevent a tough layer from forming on top. Refrigerate at least 2 hours until chilled. Fold in whipped topping.
- Cut pound cake horizontally in half. Spread marmalade over bottom half. Top with top half. Cut into 18 slices. Place 9 slices in bottom of 2 1/2- to 3-quart trifle or serving bowl.
- Spoon half of the rhubarb mixture over cake; top with half of the pudding. Repeat layers with remaining cake, rhubarb mixture and pudding. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours until chilled.
- Arrange whole strawberries on top of trifle. Garnish with orange peel. Store covered in refrigerator.