Buttercup Bake Shop Caramel Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Caramel (next recipe) + 1/2 cup water, mixed
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Make frosting by melting butter, brown sugar, and cream in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Let come to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, without stirring. Remove from heat and cool 20-30 minutes. Add sugar, beating with mixer until smooth. If too thick add a bit of cream. Frost cake layers when cold.
Makes a 2-layer 9" cake.
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
1 minute. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
Will keep for 1 month. Makes 3-1/2 cups.