Monday, December 24, 2012

The 12 Posts of Christmas (2012), volume IX

Christmas Eve in the Brave Astronaut home growing up always involved one of the rare occasions when my father would make homemade potato chips.  I have taken to making them as part of our regular menu cycle but they always remind me of Christmas Eve growing up.  We didn't decorate our tree until Christmas Eve (that was Santa's job - and it was done after I went to bed).

For dinner usually, we would have hamburgers and my father's chips.  Then it would be time for an early bedtime, while my parents (and older siblings) "waited for Santa."  As I got older, I learned it was really the opportunity to drink spiked egg nog - but hey that works, too.

I spotted this "recipe" for hamburgers and I don't remember this recipe being used in the house, but then again, my father drinks scotch.  But I am sure that Frank and Dean were certainly playing on the radio.


Here's my basic recipe for my homemade potato chips - unfortunately, I still don't have a deep fryer.

Ingredients
  • potatoes, choice (I like Russet, but Yukon Golds work well, too), sliced thin on a mandoline
  • vegetable oil
  • salt and pepper
Slice the potatoes using the mandoline (watch your fingers!) - you should have as many potatoes as you have people to serve.  Rinse the potatoes, let soak briefly in water.  Dry the potatoes (so they don't splatter when you put them in the oil).

Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet (or deep fryer, if you have one).  You need enough oil so the potatoes will float in the oil and can easily be turned.

Place the potatoes in the oil and cook until golden brown on both sides.  Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl with a paper towel.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  The potatoes can be kept in a warm oven until ready to serve.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: