Red, White, and Blueberry Shortcakes
Active time 30 minutes
Total time 1 hour
For the Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 12 ounces blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon zest from one large lemon
- 3 tablespoons juice from one large lemon
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 quart strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Set rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times to thoroughly incorporate ingredients. Add butter and pulse 7 to 9 times or until butter and flour come together in pea-sized clumps. In a measuring cup whisk together buttermilk and vanilla. Add 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, pulse several times to incorporate, then repeat until buttermilk has been fully incorporated and dough is beginning to come together.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface, pat down and roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a star-shaped biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Place biscuits on large baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
- In a medium sauce pan combine blueberries, sugar, and lemon zest. In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, corn starch, and vanilla. Pour mixture over blueberries and stir to incorporate. Heat berries over medium high heat, stirring frequently until juices come together to form thick sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a serrated knife split the biscuits and top with 1 tablespoon of blueberry sauce, sliced strawberries and whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately.