Friday, September 27, 2013

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho - It's Off From Work I Am

Today is a day off of work for me.  Some time ago - I came across this list of "the 20 Greatest Songs About Work."  Discuss.
  1. Tennessee Ernie Ford - "Sixteen Tons"
  2. Sam Cooke - "Chain Gang"
  3. Bob Dylan - "Maggie's Farm"
  4. Lee Dorsey - "Working in the Coal Mine"
  5. Glen Campbell - "Wichita Lineman"
  6. Loretta Lynn - "One's on the Way"
  7. Rush - "Working Man"
  8. Randy Newman - "Mr. President (Have Pity on the Working Man)"
  9. Johnny Paycheck - "Take This Job and Shove It"
  10. The Clash - "Career Opportunities"
  11. John Prine - "Fish and Whistle"
  12. Dolly Parton - "9 to 5"
  13. Bruce Springsteen - "Atlantic City"
  14. Utah Phillips - "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum"
  15. Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing"
  16. The Bangles - "Manic Monday"
  17. Uncle Tupelo - "Grindstone"
  18. Steve Earle - "Telephone Road"
  19. Robbie Fulks - "Let's Kill Saturday Night"
  20. Belle and Sebastian - "White Collar Boy"
I may have to make some additions to the iPod for the work shuffle mix.

When I used to work in retail - I often had to work on Friday evenings and would find myself driving to the store at 5:00, when a local radio station would have it's "5:00 Whistle" to signal the start of the weekend.  The program would always include a little Loverboy, which should be on this list, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What, no "Thirty Thousand Pounds Of Bananas"?