I am lucky in that LBA likes salad. SoBA, not as much. This is why I often say LBA is mine and SoBA belongs to Mrs. BA.
But here's a recipe I think all of us could get behind - from the Barefoot Contessa.
Roast Chicken with Bread & Arugula Salad
- 1 (4- to 4½-pound) whole chicken, preferably Bell & Evans
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed flat
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt, plus extra for serving
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 (¾-inch-thick) slices country bread
- Good olive oil
For the Arugula Salad (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup good olive oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts (3 scallions)
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 6 cups baby arugula, lightly packed (6 to 8 ounces)
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. (Be sure your oven is very clean!) Place the bread in a medium (10-inch) cast-iron skillet in a single layer. Brush the chicken with olive oil and place it, breast side up, on top of the bread. Roast for 30 minutes, turn it over and roast for 15 minutes, until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh. Wrap the skillet tightly with aluminum foil and allow the chicken to rest at room temperature for a full 30 minutes. (Don’t worry; it will stay hot.) The bread will be almost burnt on the bottom and soft with the pan drippings on top.
Place the Arugula Salad in a very large, shallow serving platter. Put the chicken and the bread on a cutting board. Cut the bread into 1-inch squares and sprinkle them on the salad. Carve the chicken thickly and place it on top of the salad. Spoon the pan juices over the chicken, sprinkle it with sea salt, and serve warm.
For the Arugula Salad:
Whisk the vinegar, mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper together in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.
Whisk in the olive oil, stir in the scallions and currants, and set aside.
Place the arugula in a large bowl, add the vinaigrette, and toss well.