Best Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 6 hours
Total time 6 hours 5 mins
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 3 lb. beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 French rolls or hoagie buns
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Slow Cooker
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup Coke, NOT diet
- 2 10.5 oz. cans beef consommé**
- 1/4 cup dry minced onions
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Using two forks or tongs to hold roast, sear on all sides until lightly browned. Add to slow cooker and top with all remaining Slow Cooker ingredients.
- Cook on LOW for 4 hours then remove roast to a cutting board. Thinly slice roast across the grain. Place sliced meat back in slow cooker and continue to cook on LOW for 1-2 additional hours.
- When ready to serve, remove roast and strain fat from broth for dipping.
- Split rolls and line the bottoms on a baking tray. Top each half with beef followed by 2 slices cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F or until cheese is melted. Serve with reserved au jus.
* The beef can be more or less than 3 pounds, but 3 pounds is roughly the amount for 6 sandwiches. ** Beef consomme can usually be found in the canned section next to the beef broth. If you can't find it, you may substitute beef broth.