Sunday, February 25, 2007

Why I'm Not Surprised It Snowed Today

Last night, upon going to bed, I was prepared to wake up this morning to sleet and freezing rain, similar to the type of weather that afflicted the DC area about two weeks ago. And yet, when I awoke this morning and looked out the front door, I noticed that the precipitation was changing primarily to snow after a slight coating of sleet.

The weather forecasters had spoken of snow but only for a brief time, and yet by late morning, more than four inches of fluffy white snow had come down. Now as to why I am not surprised.

My mother loved snow. She was known to do secret snow dances in the basement to try and get larger snow totals. Her birthday was March 22 and she always reminded people to get her presents early for she always asked for snow for her birthday. Growing up, we learned to watch out the window to see if the snow was "coming the right way." A good snowstorm on Long Island brings flakes from north to south.

I had plans today to go to church. Yes it is the first Sunday of Lent, but it is also the first anniversary of my mother's passing. I felt it only fitting that I slogged out to church in six inches of "freezing rain." I just wish my mother had waited to dance until tomorrow morning. Now I'll have to go to work.

1 comment:

stinkypaw said...

Sorry about your mom, and this was a lovely post!