Thursday, November 15, 2007

To Dream the Impossible Dream

I have a number of posts ready to roll out the gates, but I had a disturbing dream last night. Normally, my sleep is uninterrupted by dreams, or at least I don't normally remember them. It must be the meds the dentist put me on. Here's last night's dream. And yes, I know I'm weird. But what do you think?

I am in the water under a large bridge (I think it's the Throgs Neck Bridge). There's a storm coming and I have climbed up onto the metal ladder to try and reach the roadway far above. There is a young boy with me (who might be me at a younger age). He has been in the water a long time, having drifted in Long Island Sound attached to something (it wasn't clear).

The dream "camera" shifts and I see that the current Governor of Maryland has organized a search for me and the boy. I realize that being on a metal ladder underneath a bridge during a thunderstorm is not the place to be, so the boy and I jump back into the water and swim for shore.

Yes it rained heavily here last night and my acute lack of sleep made me feel like I was walking in water most of the afternoon.

What is that about?

2 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

I had a weird dream last night too and I'm only on muscle relaxants. I was having screaming headaches and the neurologist found a spot in my head that was wonky. We needed to reorient our bed to the moon and that would help the spot heal. But it caused problems for the dude's head. Then my hair went all Hermione Granger and grew really fast (you could watch it grow). Dreams are just weird. But cool.

Anonymous said...

What do those symbols mean to you? No external person or "dream dictionary" can ever truly decode your dream--only YOU know how your mind works, y'know?
I agree that the boy may be a younger you, particularly given the setting, but could he also be your own son?
You may want to just jot down some notes, i.e.;
What does a "bridge" mean to you, generally, & what about the "Throgs Neck," in particular? How about the water--what condition is it? Dark? Cold? White-capped or calm? Also, did this happen during the daytime, or at night?
One thing I see (from MY view, mind you, which should take a back seat to your own, always,) is that you're climbing a ladder to get out of a bad situation, but that the ladder, itself, becomes a source of potential danger (given the circumstances.)
If you get some time, just sit down & scribble out some notes, try some free-association, etc., etc.