Monday, November 12, 2007

Call for Recipes: What are you having?

In a little more than a week's time, the Brave Astronaut family will open their home for Thanksgiving. Expected through the door at the Brave Astronaut in-laws along with C in DC and Mr. C in DC. And, if she gets called for a case, NJM, which would keep her from being with her family on Thanksgiving. My mother would not let me know of people being by themselves on a holiday, she would come down from wherever she is and haunt me endlessly.

But as of this evening, we will be eleven adults and five children (one of whom isn't on solid food yet, so she doesn't count). So much time is being devoted to menu planning for Thanksgiving dinner. So while I pull my recipes together, here's a preview of what is being planned. If you have a particularly good recipe or suggestion, let me know.

Appetizers (overeating is every American's God-given right on Thanksgiving, so we are sure to get started early with some munchies)
  • Crudites (and C in DC is bringing her own black olives, I am given to understand)
  • Cheese and crackers (Costco yesterday, big box of crackers and some really good cheeses)
  • Artichoke Dip
Dinner
  • Turkey (already ordered, a 16-18 lb. bird, fresh, free-range)
  • Honey baked ham (this will allow me to make Ham and Turkey pie - ahh, leftovers)
  • Stuffing (likely to be made out of bird, to cut down on cooking time)
  • Mashed potatoes (well, whipped, but potatoes nonetheless)
  • Sweet potato casserole (being made by my MIL. I don't like them but others do.)
  • Green beans (I have a good skillet recipe with lemon and garlic)
  • Pearled Onions (my mother always had to have them on her table, even though she didn't like them. I have come to like them and my MIL has a good recipe that she is trying.)
  • A possible third vegetable to be named later (I'm thinking brussel sprouts).
  • Cranberry (fresh and from the can - as my sister-in-law, who normally eschews such things, "it's like candy, you just have to have it." And it's good with the 10:00 turkey sandwich).
Dessert
  • Pecan Pie (C in DC, with her college fund raiser pecans is on this)
  • Apple cake (I voted for this one, but my other sister-in-law's in-laws are coming and evidently, her MIL makes a good one.)
  • Cheesecake (My mother's recipe. Some have said it's too heavy, but my mother's is not. And I want it, so I'm making it.)
  • Pumpkin Pie (Again something I don't like at all, but others do, so my MIL is on this as well.)
Beverages
  • Wine (My sister-in-law (of the canned cranberry) is on choosing the wine for the evening. I am thinking a few bottles of both white and red.)
  • Champagne (C in DC has offered to bring a bottle or two to allow us to toast the holiday in our new home)
  • Beer (I'll need some)
  • Soda (I'll need some of that, too.)
  • Pellegrino (just bought a new case at Costco), maybe we will mix up some Crystal Light to serve with it (the official drink of the Brave Astronaut in-laws).
So, what am I missing? What has to be on your table at Thanksgiving? Recipe sound good? Want to come? Hey, what's one more?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom used to make a wonderful sweet potato dish with maple syrup, melted marshmallows & lord only knows what else. I'd always meant to get that recipe but never did...Another lesson learned the hard way, I guess.
I agree about the canned cranberry being a "must have." I look forward to all the hot turkey sandwiches I'll enjoy after the fact. I got hooked on them in Canada & have already got the peas to go along with. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Amy said...

Brussel sprouts? Ew!! What's the matter with corn?

Other than that: Sounds fantastic, and I hope it goes well.

Anonymous said...

In the part of Maryland where I grew up, no self-respecting host would have turkey and ham without sauerkraut. In a nod to the first T'giving and the maize of the Native Americans, I like a corn pudding on the table.
PhillyGirl

Anonymous said...

If I'm lucky (this is probably the only time in my life I haven't wanted to actually sit on a jury) and I do manage to go home, there will be cranberry ice (it's kind of like cranberry sherbet). I actually don't eat much of it - it's too sweet for me these days - but my younger brother will eat an entire recipe if you let him; given that he's 6'5" and about 230, there's no 'not letting him.'

Anonymous said...

Hi BA,

I'll bring all of the crudites, as well as the obligatory black olives, if you'd like. We're on the champagne and pecan pie. I have some regular Coke and 7-Up that I'm willing to contribute to the cause. (I can also bring diet sodas.) I'm willing to make the 3rd vegetable (salad or spinach gratin were suggested), but NOT brussel sprouts. Those are for handing out as Halloween tricks.

You forgot the rolls (I'll bring them). You need rolls to mop up the gravy. I'm assuming gravy in there somewhere.

I'll also contribute table and chairs, if you need them.

Brave Astronaut said...

Lana - As mentioned, sweet potatoes will not pass my lips, but I will not rob people of their joy. Ditto the canned cranberry. I am assuming you have reverted back to an American Thanksgiving and not the Canadian one?

Amy - I like Brussel sprouts. Corn? Really only good on the cob, fresh.

Philly Girl - Sauerkraut is an interesting idea, though it might give me flashbacks to a former life of Sauerbraten on New Years Day, although very tasty. Corn pudding? Remind me some day to tell you when my grandmother forced corn soup on me. Ick.

NJM - The Cranberry ice intrigues me. It might be a good opener to the feast, Recipe?

C - Crudites have been snapped up by one of the SILs. But bring the olives. We'll make room. Maybe you have a dip recipe that might be nice to complement? I'll check with the other contributors. Thanks for the beverages choices and the champagne. The rolls are a nice choice, too. It will certainly raise eyebrows of those who say the menu is over carbed. Tough noogies. Brussel sprouts are currently in the lead for the draft pick, but the spinach gratin is a close second.

And yes, table and chairs will be required. We'll discuss.

Special K. said...

Hey - if we were coming, we could bring you lots of leftover liquor and cookies, but it sounds like you've got a full (new) house. For the record--I'm pro sweet potato (but not with extra sugar), and pro cranberry (but not the slimy stuff from the jar), and I could be be pro sprout, but it all depends on how they are prepared.

Take pictures!

Anonymous said...

BA; Canadian Thanksgiving is largely identical to American (at least in S. Ontario,) but for the fact that it occurs usually on or around my birthday in Oct.
Actually, until I moved to New Orleans, I hadn't gone out of my way to celebrate traditional holi-dates for at least 9 or 10 years. That way, I could "give thanks" anytime I felt like it. Considering that my "Xmas" was spread out over an entire year, I didn't have to deal w/the mall hassles & general insanity that "traditional" Xmas brings.
It's easier, of course, to buck societal norms when you're single & childless. Now that I'm married, I "go along" with traditional holiday stuff, if mainly for the benefit of my stepson. To date I insist that Charles not buy me holiday gifts, gently insisting (honestly,) that I truly have all I want.
I really am looking forward to hot turkey sandwiches, though. Mmmm!