Tuesday, January 8, 2008

44 Weeks until Election Day

43 Presidents to talk about, 42 men who have held the office, see where I'm going with this? Time for a little American History lesson.

Recently at work, my friends and I have been trying to count off the presidents. We get lost in those years pre- and post-Lincoln. I knew a guy in elementary school, Bruce Farbstein, who could recite them all, forwards and backwards, in like two minutes. A little weird, I'll give you, but cool, in a geeky kind of way.

Also, there was a recent article on the Washington Post about the unfinished work of publishing the papers of the Founders (ooh! Mandatory Archival Content!). Here is the gist of the article, as I think the link will soon be dead.
Projects were begun in the 1940s to process and make available the papers of the Founding Fathers, including George Washington, John Adams, James Madison, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson. A recent study by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, Washington's papers will not be finished until 2023, John Adams's papers will not be done until 2050. Who's done? Alexander Hamilton. Why? Not a big volume of papers, you may recall Hamilton died at age 49 after a duel with Aaron Burr.

There is some pressure being exerted to get to work on the papers, and to allocate some additional resources to get the job(s) done. David McCullough and the current Librarian of Congress are leading the way. One reason the pace is so slow is cost. For example, a complete set of 26 volumes of the papers of Alexander Hamilton runs about $2,600. A recent poll of public libraries found that very few have many if any of the volumes on their shelves, for exactly that reason.
So what will we (I) be doing here each Tuesday? Basically, giving out some facts and trivia about the men who have served as President of the United States. Feel free to comment when I talk about your favorites. These weekly posts will also serve as a reminder to check out my political blog as the presidential race heads to its finish and the nation elects the 44th President of the United States, who will not be William Harrison Mitchell. And it also gets me some filler to help me not fall down the rabbit hole of the Internet so much.

Next week, Number 1, numero uno, the Father of Our Country. The First George W.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really looking forward to your series on the presidents - especially, to see what you thought was worth mentioning about each one. I told you about my first visit to D.C. - how my dad took us to the Capitol before we even checked into the hotel.

My brother is one of those cool, geeky guys who can recite the presidents' names in order in nothing flat. It is oddly impressive.

dd

Lana Gramlich said...

Favorites? I'm supposed to have Presidential favorites? Do you remember how much I adored history in school? *LOL*
I'm not sure how it happened, but at least I seriously got into the Celts a while back (& even started learning Welsh, one of the world's oldest languages.) I don't know why I should find the Celts so interesting while US history still makes me yawn. The grass is always greener, perhaps...
At any rate, bumps on logs like me appreciate the knowledge you have & your kindness in sharing it. Looking forward to Tues. posts. Perhaps I'll finally learn something. *L* ;)

Anonymous said...

You mean to say that even ADR was getting tripped up with those mid-1800s presidents? I'm shocked. I can rattle them off in order fairly quickly (because my job has me in the nineteenth century constantly), but I can't do them backwards - or at least, I haven't tried.