Friday, January 4, 2008

The End of an Era at NYPL

For those in the "biz," we will recognize that NYPL translates to New York Public Library. A language blog that I get in my Google Reader had a story at the beginning of December about the demise of the Donnell Room of the New York Public Library. The bottom line: rather than fix up the building, it is being sold to a developer. Just remember people, technology ain't all that. Sometimes it's nice to hold a book in your hands.

Here is the link to the news story and the blog story by a man who will miss the Donnell very much. Should we all go chain ourselves to the doors? C'mon, who's with me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my city, two old hotels have recently been renovated, at a cost of millions, rather than torn down and both are absolutely beautiful.

Save the Donnell!

dd

Lana Gramlich said...

Wow...I'm glad I stopped by there last time I was in town! (Have to say, though, I really love the remodeliing of the former Hayden planetarium.)