Saturday, April 26, 2008

Baseball Been Berry, Berry Good to Me

Tonight, I went out to Nationals Park for the first time since Opening Night (and again I went with OSG). This was the first outing on tickets I scored at an auction that I attended last week. OSG and I have now attended two games in the new ballpark, seeing the Nationals win both games with walk off home runs in the bottom of the ninth.

With all the brouhaha that swirled about that other team in Washington, which is now playing golf, after finally removing their ice skates after an amazing series (and for the record I am very disappointed - it was very exciting to watch), I am prompted to answer the question (from no one in particular), what is my favorite sport? I will not (for now) pick a particular allegiance to any one team, although that is fairly evident to those who know me.

It's a valid question. Of the sports that are on my radar screen here they are (ranked according to height and popularity - and what's that from? - my favorite TV show) and please note this is but a very short list. There are certainly more sports out there and even some that I will watch. This just happens to be the list today and it conveniently gets me to the link I wanted to share with you (see the bottom of the post):
  1. Baseball
  2. Golf
  3. Hockey
  4. College Basketball (hey don't I get lunch because I won the pool?)
  5. Football
So there you have it. I am not a big pro football fan of either New York team, which don't even play in New York anymore and I am too far removed from C in DCs beloved NY Team. I will usually watch the Super Bowl, but that is more about the food and the commercials than the game. But the Giants beating the Patriots last year was sweet. I will watch the occasional college game (I might tune into the bowl games around New Years and I'll always look at how Brown is doing for my mother).

When I lived in the Hudson Valley, I held season tickets for the Marist College Red Foxes. I liked the smaller intimate settings and you could really get involved in the games. I will watch (and did watch) most of the March Madness tournament and will usually root for the underdogs, because those are the teams I know. But I'm not stupid and usually do well in the pool, which is why my lunch table group is going out to lunch and I get to eat free!

I am a hockey fan by genetics. My mother was an only child and learned her love of the game from behind the chicken wire at Rhode Island Reds games. I won't even get into how my father nearly got killed when he came home one night and told my mother that someone had offered him New York Rangers tickets and he turned them down, not knowing the level of craziness exhibited by hockey fans (if you haven't seen the linked commercial, click it - it's worth it). When my mother died, my brother-in-law arranged for a floral display of carnations made into the New York Rangers logo. It was quite something.

The reason that golf sits atop hockey is that I can actually play golf (shut up, Ed). I can't skate worth a lick and I love watching hockey and will root for my Rangers until my last breath. But I can pick up a golf club and (occasionally) get a good ball down the fairway. Next weekend I will travel to a conference where a foursome of archival golfers will beat up on the little white ball. And of course we have just seen the Masters, which is the one golf tournament that I try to not miss on TV. Now if I can just get adopted by Archivalist's father and go with him on his tickets one year, I'll be all set.

So that leaves baseball. I grew up in New York, where that purple stadium was closer than the hallowed grounds of the House that Ruth Built. I went to my fair share of both Mets and Yankee games, but my heart went to the pinstripes. It's been said that's why the Yankees always win, "the other teams can't stop looking at those pinstripes." (Look a quiz question right here at the end - name that movie!). I played little league as a youngster, but didn't have what it took. Perhaps Little Brave Astronaut can do what his old dad could not - support his father in the lifestyle he would like to be accustomed to.

But I agree with the article posted here. Baseball is the best of all games. And here, from a 1961 conversation recounted in a letter (a letter, not an email, not on the phone, an actual letter) twenty years later, the American Philosopher, John Rawls, explains why he offers the six reasons why baseball is the greatest of all games.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice game last night, eh? Go Pens!

ADR said...

There's much fodder for discussion here. Rawls is a terrible writer. In the middle of a tirade in my Junior year, I chucked my copy of On Justice out of a third story window. But I digress.

I do appreciate your support in defeat at the hands of the ugly Orange team from Eastern PA.

My ranking. 1) Hockey 2) Real Football (i.e. soccer) 3) Baseball 4) College Football. Number 1 and 2 pretty much take al year to play as the MLS continues to schedule matches in conflict with the FIFA sanctioned International calendar. There really isn't much time for the rest. However, as an American male, I do have the sports gene and will pretty much default to ESPN News to watch highlights from any sport. This includes the most hyped event of the year - the NFL draft. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

While the NFL tops my list, I won't watch the draft or its highlights (if such things exist). Baseball is #2, Golf #3. Hockey is a distant #4 - but that "ugly Orange team" is my favorite - as all Philly teams are in each major sport.

As far as Rawls, I did not find him too objectionable, and I was quite proud of an essay written on his thoughts for an Intellectual History course taken in Bologna, Italy, taught by an Englishman.

Southern Gentleman said...

Here are my favorite sports … sorry, I don’t have five: 1. College Football (i.e. real football), 2) Baseball (majors and minors) …

I grew up in the South ... baseball was something we played in the road, at school, and watched from Atlanta. Football was religion on Friday nights in Savannah. -OSG

Brave Astronaut said...

Ed - you are determined to sleep in the hall this week aren't you?

ADR - Sorry to scratch at old wounds. Alas, after today, it may not be much longer before my team is competing with yours for tee times. And your sports gene is a little more mutated then the rest of us - who else can remember when the Water Polo incident took place?

J - You should stop reminding me of your love of Philly teams. I really do want to like you.

OSG - As with J in PA, I like you even though you have an allegiance to Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

1. College Hockey
2. Pro Hockey (this is true despite my anger over the lockout)
3. Youth hockey

Okay, I'll admit it. I enjoy baseball and football (Friday nights were sacred in Nashville). Once I got over the fact that I spent the majority of my childhood in hockey rinks, I realized that I just love to watch hockey on any level. I like college best because I think it's the most interesting.

Now, is anyone surprised by this?
I didn't think so.

Ed from Pgh said...

Your beloved Rangers are 0-2 buddy. Sleep soundly my friend.

Golf #1, Golf #2, Golf #3 etc.

Lana Gramlich said...

I still say nothing beats little league & the littler the league the better. They're having fun for free (relatively speaking,) & they're so hysterical! I'll never forget my nephew's 1st ice hockey practice. It was one of the very best moments in my life. I smiled so big it hurt my face.
To each their own, though!

Brave Astronaut said...

NJM - Let the anger go. Hockey is great, and you clearly have a love of the game at all levels.

Ed - Let's just remember my prediction of Rangers in 6. It is far from over.

Lana - I particularly enjoy going to a pro ice hockey game and watching the little kids take the ice between periods. It's a hoot!

Unknown said...

My favorites to watch on TV are:

1. Baseball (I was surprised to discover Monday night that I'll watch any team, not just the Nats, who weren't playing)
2. College football (although I watching less now that I'm in the Mid-Atlantic area)
3. The tour de France (even without Lance)
4. Figure skating
5. Short Track speed skating

I will occasionally watch hockey and the NFL. Growing up, it was all NFL, all the time.

With apologies to ADR and O.C., it kills me to have to watch soccer on TV. Fortunately, hubby's only interested in the World Cup. I also have no use for basketball, unless it's the March Madness pool.

Archivalist said...

1. Hockey
2. Football, college and pro
3. Golf. For the majors, it moves up to #2
4. College basketball, but only during tourney time.

Sadly, baseball and basketball don't even make the list anymore, but I admit to watching the World Series on occasion.

Brave Astronaut said...

c in dc - you sell yourself short. while you say you are new to the sports talk, you do manage to hold your own in our lunch conversations.

archivalist - hockey? what is this thing of which you speak? got some golf in at the MARAC meeting, I should stick to watching it.