Monday, December 1, 2008

Forget PETA, Let's Form PITH*

PETA is in the news again. I have hesitated on this post for a while, because it's really just a little too icky to contemplate. But here goes. PETA lobbied ice cream makers Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield to replace cow's milk with human breast milk. With a press release titled "The Breast is Best," the organization, which also pushed the idea on their blog, pointed out that a Swiss restaurant owner is replacing 75% of its cow's milk with breast milk from nursing mothers. OK, all together now, EWWWWW!

So instead, grab that Ben and Jerry's flavor you love best and whip up some Creme Brulee.

Arnold's Ben & Jerry's Organic Crème Brulée

Ingredients
  • 1 pint of Organic B&J Vanilla ice cream ( other flavors may be used. Smooth flavors work best. Break up chunks if using chunky flavors)
  • 2 Organic eggs
  • 2 tsp. Organic sugar
  • 1 tsp. Organic vanilla
  • 1/2 cup Organic sugar, reserve for "burnt sugar crust"
  • 4 oven proof ramekins for custard
Soften ice cream to a liquid state. You can empty the pint into a bowl and leave in the refrigerator for a few hours. Do not heat at high temperatures to melt ice cream.

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees

Place four ramekins in a pan with water half way up the sides of the ramekins.

Beat the eggs only until well blended, no more then 15-20 seconds. Pour eggs, sugar, and vanilla into softened ice cream and stir until well blended. Pour crème mixture into ramekins. Place pan with water and crème mixture into oven for 1 1/2 hours. Custard is done when top is firm and jiggles slightly in the middle when shaken. Remove pan from oven and cool custard to room temperature. Note, you will see holes on top of the custard from the air in the ice cream having escaped - this is normal. When completely cooled, cover with food wrap and store in the refrigerator.

To create burnt sugar crust:

Immediately before serving, pour a liberal amount of sugar on the top of the first custard, pouring any excess into the next ramekin. Continue until the tops of all four ramekins have a thin layer of sugar. Caramelize the sugar by placing the ramekins under a broiler on the top rack or by using a small culinary flame torch. Note this step goes quickly, remove when sugar on the custard turns golden brown. Serve immediately.

* PETA is of course People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - PITH would be People for the Inhumane Treatment of Humans (especially PETA members).

7 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

You have to admit though, it's strange we should be squemish about using milk we are designed to drink, but fine with stuff that comes from animals.

I can't remember which comedian it was, but I remember hearing a great tirade about who first looked at a pair of udders and thought "I'm having some of that..."

Eryl Shields said...

Can you make cream from human milk I wonder, it always seemed rather thin to me? And it's sweet which would be no good for my coffee if we all switched.

I have a great 'cheats' recipe for creme brulee that my mother-in-law gave me, no baking.

Lana Gramlich said...

But...I thought humans were animals, too? My mistake, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I think I'd prefer HMP (human milk product(s)) to the Springfield Cafeteria Connection from "mayored to the mob!" At least it comes in pretty containers.

Archivalist said...

If there's this much extra breast milk around, why make ice cream with it? Couldn't they think of anything better? I know, I know -- PETA lives for the attention-grabbing headlines. But couldn't they be serious for ONCE and come up with something useful?

Amy said...

Random thoughts from the non-nuns* in my office when I read BA's opening paragraph out loud:

-- EWWWWW! Yuck!
-- How is it more humane to milk a person than a cow?
-- How do you apply for the job of human cow, anyway?


Followed by this little exchange ...

Cathy: Can't you just picture a line of women corraled up ...
Susan: STOP! I'm trying not to ...
Cathy: And you want to follow me and Christine through a Georgia O'Keefe exhibit! (pause) Actually, I don't think they'd let us in.





* The nuns and other authority figures are out of the office today, which is why I'm reading bits of blog posts aloud instead of researching how much it's going to cost to buy digital images of Thomas Edison's electric lamp patent drawing, Alexander Graham Bell's telephone patent drawing, and Joseph Glidden's barbed wire patent drawing. Ugh.

Brave Astronaut said...

Kim - there's a whole list of things that you could comment like that on. "Hey that white oval thing just came out of that chicken's ass, let's eat it.

Eryl - I know there have to be some sleep deprived new fathers out there who have grabbed the wrong milk for their coffee. They only make that mistake once.

Lana - always looking to put a fine point on it, aren't you? :)

Terry - fair enough. With this economy, perhaps this job will find a way to diversify.

AT - I'm sorry, have you not been following? We're talking about PETA. :)

Amy - I warned you all. If one reads this post and milk comes out of your nose in laughter, could you do something with that?