Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Not one, but two year end lists

At the end of the year it is traditional for the year-end summaries, lists of popular songs (c'mon how many of you taped the year end countdown off the radio onto cassette - Anyone? Just me? OK, moving on), top movies, big news events (was there one this year?). Herewith is a list that popped up not long ago with a list of the Top 10 Most Annoying Phrases that came into the language this year, seen among others, here, here, here, and here.
  1. At the end of the day
  2. Fairly unique
  3. I personally (It's not personal . . . it's about me, of course it's personal)
  4. At this moment in time
  5. With all due respect (If you hear that, be prepared for something disrespectful)
  6. Absolutely
  7. It's a nightmare (not anymore - just three more weeks of the current nightmare)
  8. Shouldn't of
  9. 24/7
  10. It's not rocket science (well sometimes it is)
Following that list is the one promoting the top buzzwords of 2008 seen first on kottke:
  1. Fail
  2. Malus
  3. Change (well, duh)
  4. Caribou Barbie
  5. Obamanation
  6. Frugalista
  7. Staycation
  8. Digital cliff
  9. Skadoosh (from this movie)
  10. Phelpsian (was Spitzian ever on the list?)
  11. Gas-sipper
  12. Joe (you know, like that plumber-guy)
  13. Greyjing (making it hard to be Phelpsian)
  14. Fish pedicure (I would like one of these)
  15. Sister wife
  16. Lipstick on a pig
  17. Photobombing
  18. DWT (Driving While Texting)
  19. Age-doping
  20. Pregorexiz
  21. Throwie
  22. Hockey Mom
  23. Twitt- (and its roots, tw- tweet-)
  24. Plutoid
  25. Futarchy
  26. Maverick (and no, not him or even him)
  27. Quake lake
  28. Recessionista
  29. TBTF (Too Big To Fail - hah!)
  30. In the Tank
  31. Twi-Hard (rhymes with this movie)
  32. Naked Shortselling
  33. Nuke the Fridge (the new "Jumping the Shark" from this movie)
  34. Edupunk
  35. Stag-deflation
  36. Longphoto
  37. Burrowing
  38. Terrorist Fist Jab

If you want to show off your Internet skills with people, you can always tell them, hey, "Let me Google that for you."

5 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I don't know 80% of those buzz words! I think I need to watch more TV...

Kim Ayres said...

Those annoying phrases have been about at least since the turn of the millenium. For years I've been making a conscious effort to avoid ever saying, at the end of the day.

Happy New Year and I hope 2009 is a good one for you and yours :)

Eryl Shields said...

Where have I been, I have heard so few of these buzzwords, and can't even imagine what some of them mean?

Lana Gramlich said...

OMG...Charles & I both just used "jump the shark" the other day. I didn't know we were supposed to upgrade to "nuke the fridge!"
BTW, meant to mail your pkg today, but stumbled out of the house in an exhausted heap this morning. Will get it out to you soon, though.
Sorry for my long, recent absence. Been busy with offline life. My best to you & yours for 2009! Peace & love & hugs to the boys!

Brave Astronaut said...

Mary - I watch way too much TV and I even had to ask about several of these.

Kim - At the end of the day, I personally think, with all due respect, absolutely, it's not rocket science.

Eryl - It's a fair question.

Lana - It is our generation of course, that coined "jump the shark" (Love Fonzie!)