Sweet and Spicy Nutella-Coated Bacon
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 thick slices bacon (1/2 to 3/4 pound)
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- Fleur de sel or another coarse salt
Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange bacon slices on baking sheet, making sure they do not overlap. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on desired doneness, then remove from oven and carefully flip bacon slices.
Sprinkle each slice liberally with sugar-pepper mixture. Return to oven and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes. Cool bacon slices on paper towels until approximately room temperature.
When bacon has cooled, place Nutella into a small bowl and microwave on high for approximately 15 to 20 seconds, until softened. Transfer bacon slices to a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet or large plate. Using a silicon brush or icing spatula, lightly spread Nutella onto the top of each bacon slice. Place plate into refrigerator and allow Nutella to harden. Once coating is firm to the touch, sprinkle with fleur de sel and serve.
- Reduce the amount of black pepper to 1/2 teaspoon and add 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper to the spice mixture.
- To make a European Elvis sandwich, spread the top of one slice of bread lightly with honey, top with the coated bacon and thin slices of banana, then close with a second slice of bread.
150 calories (60% from fat)
10 grams fat (3.5 grams sat. fat)
8 grams carbohydrates
7 grams protein
355 mg sodium
15 mg cholesterol
0 grams fiber