Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It's the Conference Semifinals (Predictions)

Settling in to handicap the second round is a man who is still dealing with snow on the ground, though he is partial to the defending Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes (wait, they're not playing), I like him anyway. Archival Trash Man, take it away:

Thanks to BA for having me "guest blog" for the second round of the NHL playoffs. Even though I only have one series going the distance, I think we're in for four very entertaining series and a fun week or two while we get to point and laugh at my picks. So without further ado, here we go...

Let's start out West. Conventional Wisdom says the Red Wings are different enough this year to avoid recent years playoff disasters, that Hasek has another Cup in him, and that these guys (#1 record overall) are somehow underdogs. I don't like Conventional Wisdom, so I'll pick the Sharks. San Jose's up-tempo game and team speed should be the difference in this series, and Wings fans will face another year of "What Happened?" Take that, Mitch Albom! SJ 4, DET 2

On paper at least, the Vancouver-Anaheim matchup looks like a classic. I'll agree. And while the 'Nucks may have a slight advantage up front, I think the Ducks' superior blue line and stellar net play will tell in the end. (Yes, as good as Luongo is, I think Giguere/Bryzgalov can stand up to him for one series at least.) This should be fun to watch. ANA 4, VAN 3

In the East, let's start with Buffalo vs. NY Rangers. I didn't think the Rangers would get past the Thrashers, but they seriously proved me wrong. This time, however, I think their luck runs out. The Sabres are too deep, too fast, and will throw too much for too long at the Rags. So, unless Lundqvist stands on his head every single night, and Jagr scores on every shift, this one will be over in five. Sorry, BA. BUF 4, NYR 1

Man, would I love to see the Devils get swept. Not only was seeing the Hurricanes win the Cup last year fantastic, but they took out the Devils along the way. So you know where my heart lies in this series. My head also says take the Sens, despite their continued woes in the post-season. But they made it past round one this year, and I think they'll take it to the Devils. The Sens are a much deeper team than the Lightning, and if Brodeur slips just a little bit, as he did in the TB series, this one could be over quickly. OTT 4, NJ 2

5 comments:

Brave Astronaut said...

Let me get my picks out there first. I will say up front that I am going heart over head for the Rangers series, but I can dream.

Buffalo Sabres vs. New York Rangers - Sure, Buffalo had a great year. Sure, they had the best record in the NHL. But the Rangers have heart and tradition on their side. Rangers in 6.

New Jersey Devils vs. Ottawa Senators - This will be a good series. The Devils should have been able to dispatch Tampa Bay more easily and Ottawa buried Pittsburgh. Ottawa in 5.

Detroit Red Wings vs. San Jose Sharks - More tradition for the Red Wings than for the Sharks. Red Wings in 6

Anaheim Ducks vs. Vancouver Canucks - The Ducks played well and the Canucks are tired. But proximity to cold weather should prevail. Canucks in 7.

Anonymous said...

My picks are Sabres, Sharks, Canucks, and Senators. (If one of the California teams has to go ahead, please let it be the Sharks.) The Ducks and Devils just have to lose. My only grudge against the Rangers is that they're playing my team.

To formalize the offer, I'll produce Buffalo-style chicken wings for the first night, whichever it may be, that Buffalo can win the series. (That is, the next game after Buffalo wins its third game.) Brave Astronaut -- Are you willing to produce the NY food of choice if the Rangers get to 3 first?

Just let me know where.

ADR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Since I went 7-1 in the first round, I am sure people will be clamoring for my picks. Though I must say that I do largely agree with Archival Trash.

In the East, I'll pick Buffalo in 5 and Ottawa in 6. Ottawa really looks like a team to beat/on a mission. Sorry BA - the Rangers run is over. I can't see them beating Buffalo

In the West, I'll agree about Detroit - they look like they can't win. And San Jose was impressive in the first round when I really thought Forsberg and Nashville would win. In the other series, I'll agree with BA - Vancouver in 7. I'll take Luongo over Giguere/Bryzgalov. That promises to be the best series.

Anonymous said...

BA seems to be showing a bias against the CA teams - tradition and "proximity to the cold" are his reasons to pick against them. Very scientific, to be sure. I can't do any worse than that. And, as a Pennsylvanian, I have no stake in this shootin' match anymore, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I think Buffalo will beat the Rangers in 6, and I think Ottowa will be able to dispense with NJ in only 5. I believe Anaheim will eke out a win after 6 tight games (I agree - should be the most entertaining match-up of this round), and I'll take San Jose, going the full 7 to finish off Detroit. (That's right, folks - 2 CA teams advance!)

Let the ice chips fall where they may.