Saturday, April 7, 2007

So Long, Farewell, and Good Night

Another hopping Saturday night here in Brave Astronaut land. My wife and I are babysitting my sister-in-law's daughter and she and my son are fast asleep in his room. We have been reduced (though by choice) The Sound of Music, which is being played on TV, sadly with commercials. I recall growing up that the Sound of Music was often on TV at Easter and it felt right to stop and watch Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews go to the hills.

And here is your archival content for the evening. The records of the Von Trapp family's immigration into the United States are held at the National Archives, here in Washington, DC. I am assuming that cannot be said for the other big Easter flick, being played over on the ABC network, The Ten Commandments.

I spent a very lazy Saturday watching the Masters on television. It is the one golf tournament that I try not to miss. Today is traditionally referred to as "Moving Day" and today everybody took a few steps backwards. There is no player in the field that is above par. The scoring average for today hovered nearly 4 over par (72). I hope that the "Archival Trash" talker bundled up for his excursion to Augusta for it has been mighty cold there in Georgia. But then again, it snowed here this morning.

As I long for the return of warm weather, I have turned to another archival colleague, who has headed to Florida for a family vacation. I highly recommend reading his virtual postcards on his "Mission to the Dry Tortugas." We can all live vicariously through him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to correct you, but the records of the Von Trapps are at the Regional Archives in Waltham. At the time of their naturalizations, the function was handled by the US District Courts. Federal Court records are generally held in the Regional Archives.

Brave Astronaut said...

In my defense, Maria is also featured in the Public Vaults display that is featured here in DC. Nonetheless, I was a little too quick to aver that the records in question were here in DC.

My apologies to my friends and colleagues in the regions, specifically in this instance, Waltham.

Anonymous said...

It snowed at Fort Polk, Louisiana, over the weekend, too, according to my sister. Brrr.