Thursday, June 7, 2007

Hey, That's Funny!

A friend who has escaped the city life for the slowed down pace of the wilds of Pennsylvania has found herself something to do. She has started several blogs. One of them is generating a great deal of discussion about the profession we are both involved in. If you work in archives, you should certainly check out Archives Next.

But the real fun is taking place on "Special K's" other blog about her new country life. In Life After DC, she relates how things are going in her new life and with her new husband. They leave for Italy on Saturday (for their honeymoon), but late last week, she challenged our "lunch crowd" (those of us that usually eat together at the "Mother Ship") to come up with a list of our favorite comedy movies. It has been a very active thread, interspersed with her nearly interrupted plans to travel to Italy on Saturday.

But this I can do. I mean, really, who wants to talk about work all the time? This is infinitely more fun. So, I quickly posted several of my favorite comedies, with a twist. I only put quotes and challenged them (Mr. and Mrs. Special K) to identify the movies.

And here's a little bonus. On another blog I read, "Amy in Cleveland" included a link to this movie quiz. 45 movie midpoints. A frame of a movie taken at exactly the middle of the film. Look at the pictures and see how many you can get. I was able to get about a third of them.

Here are the quotes I posted on Life After DC, and another Order from Chaos quiz is born. Answers to follow next week.
  1. "Does Jeff know?"
  2. "Fifteen's my limit on schnitzengruben."
  3. "It is so nice when you can sit with someone and not have to talk."
  4. "I love this plan! I'm happy to be a part of it! Let's do it!"
  5. "This once former greens keeper, now putting for the illustrious green jacket.
  6. "If we were in Germany, I'd have to make your bed - but we're in Italy, so you have to make mine."
  7. "Sorry, folks, park's closed. Moose out front should have told you."
  8. "OK, but I get to be on top."
  9. I paid for it with the Underhill's American Express card. Want the number?
  10. "My name in Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
  11. "Serpentine, Shel! Serpentine!" (the original, not the remake)
  12. "I want my two dollars!"
  13. "Run Away! Run Away"
  14. "You built a time machine . . . out of a DeLorean?"
  15. "I have one word for you, son. Plastics."
  16. "I'm no fool. I've killed the boss, you think they're not gonna fire me for a thing like that?"
  17. "Paul, I think I'm gonna be a lousy wife. But don't be angry with me. I love you very much - and I'm very sexy!" (A boatload of bonus points to whoever knows this one)
  18. "She's great. She's really exotic! She's a princess! She's Polynesian - well, half Polynesian, and half American. She's... Amnesian."
  19. "Ladies and gentlemen, you are such a wonderful crowd, we'd like to play a little tune for you. It's one of my personal favorites and I'd like to dedicate it to a young man who doesn't think he's seen anything good today - Cameron Frye, this one's for you.
  20. "I can't believe my grandmother actually felt me up."

1 comment:

Anna van Schurman said...

Not only do I know #17, it was one of the quotes we used for our wedding tables!!! So I get all the bonus points, right?

I only got 15 of the movies--I think I could have done better if I could have made the photos bigger. But I am especially proud of getting Caddyshack, don't ask me why.