Friday, June 1, 2007

It Was How Many Years Ago?

I am in New York for the big sale and have just finished getting things ready. I needed a shower and now feel clean again. But I wanted to get this out to all you nice folks, in case you missed it. Especially to my wife who prefers the Stones over the Beatles. Ah, mixed marriages.

News outlets are reporting today that today is the 40th anniversary of the release of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Something else that is older than I am, although we both turn 40 this year.

Of the many items for sale tomorrow are my parents collection of LPs (and even some 78s - and you're really dating yourself if you know what those are). Back in the days when album covers meant something and the artwork was sometimes done by real artists, the LP is a lost treasure of my childhood. One of the features I like on my iPod is the "cover art" that you get when you download a song. Everything old is new again.

Go find a turntable and put on the old vinyl and sit back and listen to when "it was 20 years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play."

2 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I guess that means it was 60 years ago today that Sgt Pepper taught the band to play...

Brave Astronaut said...

And I just commented at lunch today, wondering if you would have something to say about this. I have this impression you are more in my wife's camp (Stones) than mine (Beatles).

Song Lyric = 20 years ago
Actual anniversary = 40 years ago
Paul = 64 (soon to be 65)
Ringo = 66

God, we are all just old, aren't we?