Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Standing in the Shadow of Greatness

I have two "celebrity" stories to relate. The first is familial and a blatant plug for you to go and buy something. My sister-in-law has published a book. If you have kids, you should read this book. The book is called "Nine Months in August." She "labored" long over this book and it is finally out and you will enjoy it. As people who have been reviewing it have said, it's a good summer read.

The second brush gives me a Kevin Bacon number of three. I went to high school and graduated with Judd Apatow. Judd's Bacon number is two (he was in Anchorman / with Tim Robbins / who was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon). In the May 27, 2007 New York Times Magazine, there was an extensive article on Apatow, including his roots on Long Island. He got his "Hollywood" start working at our high school's radio station and managed to pull in celebrities for interviews, including a very young Jerry Seinfeld.

Last year, when I went home for my 20th high school reunion, it was about the time when the "40-Year Old Virgin" came out. An article I read then mentioned that Apatow was hoping to come to the reunion, but alas, he didn't show. I will admit that I didn't know him all that well in high school, but it's kind of cool to have somebody famous from your class.

6 comments:

ADR said...

Hey, I was friends in high school with a guy who became an actor on daytime soap operas. He then got a bit part in Philadelphia with Tom Hanks - who was in Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon. He quit acting to go to med school and became an obstetrician and pretty much married a supermodel.

When I saw him at our reunion, all I could think was that our class got the "most likely to succeed" tag right on the money.

Anna van Schurman said...

I also have a Kevin Bacon # of 3. I dated Mike O'Malley in high school. He was in 28 Days with Sandra Bullock who was in Loverboy with KB. I think he might remember me if I ever went to a high school reunion. :)

Anonymous said...

My number's not so good, 5.

I worked for Mike (in Iowa), who was best man at Helen Slater's wedding, who we connect to Michael J. Fox, then Michael Gross, then Kevin in Tremors.

Archivalist said...

Hmm. I'm too lazy to check the Kevin Bacon index, but I was good friends with a guy who went to high school with Dermot Mulroney...what's his Bacon index?

My other brushes with greatness are golf-related: minor interactions with Lee Trevino and Tom Watson many, many years ago. And Greg Norman's autograph.

Brave Astronaut said...

Dermot Mulroney has a Bacon Number of 2.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've improved my number thanks to your link, BA. According to the Oracle:

Helen Slater was in Lassie (1994) with Tom Guiry
Tom Guiry was in Mystic River (2003) with Kevin Bacon

So I'm down to 3 as well.