Monday, June 4, 2007

The Secret Family Recipe

I promised this recipe a few weeks ago, and with summer upon us, I wanted to share it. It is a basic vinaigrette recipe. In my family, we make variations to serve with cold asparagus or artichokes (make it thicker), or on salads or for a nice tomato salad (my father's speciality). Please note there are no real measurements, I don't think I have made it the same way twice.
  • mayonnaise (approximately 4 tbsp)
  • mustard (approximately 2 tbsp) (I use brown, Dijon, yellow, whole grain - mix it up)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • spices (whichever ones I grab from the rack)

Stir together above ingredients.

  • olive oil (approximately to double volume)

Shake vigorously to incorporate oil.

  • vinegar (again I use white or red wine / you can use balsamic, but it will make it very dark) to thin dressing to desired consistency.

Secret ingredient: I squeeze a little lemon juice into the dressing.

No comments: