Monday, February 18, 2008

Salmon and Bacon

It's President's Day (or as the Office of Personnel Management knows it, Washington's Birthday (I know, don't get me started). But what it means is that I have the day off. I started my day at the dentist (the regular one) and he has determined that I need to go back and see the endodontist as Tooth No. 19 is acting up again. I am off to the chiropractor this afternoon so I can be well-adjusted for my return back to work tomorrow (how well adjusted will always remain to be seen). C in DC has tagged me with a meme, which I will get to after the weekly recipe and presidential homage.

So this week's recipe. Sure, I know those two look bad, together like that. Salmon recipes have appeared here before. And I have had bacon-wrapped scallops (this is but one of many recipes) so I am willing to try this one.

Bacon-Wrapped Broiled Salmon
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons grainy mustard
  • 1 to 2 tablespoon minced dill, plus a few sprigs for garnish (optional)
  • Kosher or sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon slightly crushed pink peppercorns
  • 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless salmon fillets, preferably at least 3/4 inch thick, pin bones removed
  • 4 slices streaky (fatty) bacon
Position an oven rack 4 to 5 inches from the broiling element; preheat the broiler. Have ready a broiler pan with a rack and 4 long metal skewers.

Combine the mustard, dill, salt and pink peppercorns in a small bowl, mixing well. Spread in equal amounts on the top (rounded) sides of the salmon fillets, pressing the mixture down slightly into the fish. Lay a slice of bacon across each fillet (fold into a V shape, if using center-cut fillets) and tuck the ends neatly underneath. Thread a skewer through the center of each fillet to secure the edges of the bacon. Place the fillets bacon side down on the broiler pan and broil for 4 minutes, until the salmon looks opaque, then use a spatula to carefully turn them over (leaving the skewers in place) and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, until the bacon is crisp. Remove the skewers and serve immediately.

Recipe Source: Adapted from Villas's "The Bacon Cookbook" (Wiley, 2007).

1 comment:

Special K. said...

Bad, bad tooth 19! For those of you who don't know, I looked it up:

"Endodontists specialize and limit their practice to root canal therapy and root canal surgery, and use their special training and experience in treating difficult cases, such as teeth with narrow or blocked canals, or unusual anatomy. Endodontists may use advanced technology, such as operating microscopes, ultrasonics and digital imaging, to perform these special services, and often have great experience in successfully treating patients who present in pain."