Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Well there's this thing and this one, and that one

I had a lot to say. I have several posts queued up and ready to go. They need a little editing before they go out. And I'll get to them in do time. I need to feel the creative juices flow a little more before they are "perfect."

One thing I was going to report on tonight (when I learned that today was the anniversary) was the Iron Curtain speech by Winston Churchill, which took place on this date in 1946. Click here for a little .wav file from the speech. It is also the anniversary of the Boston Massacre.

Then I saw on the Interwebs that Patrick Swayze was dying of pancreatic cancer, which was soon refuted by his doctors that, while yes he did have pancreatic cancer, his death was not imminent.

Kottke.org had this YouTube link, offering up a brief history of evil, noted as "an (animated (and condensed (and brief (and truncated)))) history of evil. Almost as interesting for the comments as for the video itself." But I didn't want to just go with a link posting.

Perhaps one of the reasons my day was so disjointed was that my slumber was disturbed last night and not by my normal bouts with insomnia. The doorbell rang at 2:00am (which is in that time of night when the volume of things is increased by some exponential value). I had only been asleep for about an hour as I had been watching the returns come in from the primaries, so I was especially groggy as one gets shortly after having fallen asleep. At the door was one of my town's finest, informing me that my wife's car had been broken into and the stereo ripped out. He knew this because (Alleluia!) they had captured the cretins and the stereo will likely be returned soon. Here's a post from my neighbor about the incident.

This had occurred around midnight (when I was still up) and during a rather heavy rainstorm. But I never heard anything other than the rain. So now I am having the nice glass people come and repair both that car's window and my car's windshield, which has had a crack for some time and is on the move again.

Is there any wonder why I'm always tired?

6 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna van Schurman said...

I'm not that kind of a doctor, but I do some marketing for one of The pancreatic surgeons on the east coast and I'm telling you, pancreatic cancer is never a good thing. Rarely more than a few months, and even with a Whipple procedure the outside is 5 years. Because I know you really want to see him live to make Roadhouse II.

Ellen said...

So sorry to hear about the car break in. Funny, I did notice this a.m. that your cars were both in the driveway, which was unusual. Totally missed it all yesterday a.m., perhaps because I was bleary-eyed when I left the house at the ungodly hour of 6:15 a.m.

Anyway, that really, really sucks and I am sorry it happened to you.

Anonymous said...

That is too bad about the break-in but I would say that your finest truly are THE FINEST if they found your stereo before you even knew it was gone.

dd

Anonymous said...

Well, BA, I did have a similar experience of having a car window smashed, but either this was a random act of mindless vandalism, or the would-be thief discovered that I didn't even have a CD player in my car, so why bother. Cleaning up the millions of tiny pieces of glass which found their way into every little corner of my car's interior was fun. Thankfully, my dealer was able to replace the window within a day and the insurance company came through in a very timely fashion. I hope your "after" experience will be as smooth.

Lana Gramlich said...

Sorry about the cretins. They really piss me off. Glad they were busted, at least! After comandeering my car when it was stolen in Toronto years ago, the cops turned around & "lost" it. Find the culprits? Are you kidding me? *snort*