Tuesday, January 20, 2009

For want of a checkpoint . . .

An inauguration volunteer was lost.

As many of you know, I was supposed to be on the Mall today to volunteer for the Inauguration of Barack Obama. I started my day at 4:00am, when I left C in DC's house and headed for the National Mall. I walked and walked and walked, getting pushed north of the Capitol complex. I finally headed east along E Street, trying to find a checkpoint that would get me to the National Mall. However, with Pennsylvania Avenue between me and the Mall, I was unable to find a checkpoint where I could cross.

I walked around with several thousand cold Americans for about two hours when I finally hit my limit. I talked with my team captain and told him of the troubles I was having. He had no good advice for me, nor did any of the many law enforcement officials that I talked to.

While this will certainly sounds like sour grapes to some, I finally decided to throw in the towel and headed home. I got some celebratory donuts and have returned home to watch the ceremonies on TV. But I can always say that I was almost a part of it. I've got the badge and the hat to prove it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

sorry you weren't successful.

Lana Gramlich said...

Oh no, hon. I'm seriously sad to hear this. I know you must have been looking forward to it! At least you have the badge & the hat, though. Hold onto those! I'm sure they'll be worth a good buck someday (not that you'd be the type to cash in on historical memories, of course!)

Eryl Shields said...

You may not have been there on the Mall, but you were part of it. And bravo to you for getting up so early and trying so hard.

savannah said...

well done, sugar! you were ready and willing and able. you did your best. you've got the badge & hat to prove it! xox

Brave Astronaut said...

C - But I did not give any coffee to your child.

Lana - It's OK, I got to watch on TV with my family and it was warm.

Eryl - I was indeed. It was a great day.

Savannah - Thanks for coming by. Good to see you again. It was important to me to be a part of this historic event.

debra said...

I can't believe I've never been here before--since we seem to travel in some of the same circles.....

We watched the inauguration on the TV at a ski lodge (I am the adviser for my daughter's ski club). We had food: presidential popcorn, Barak Obrownies, etc. And watched 2 million people witness the event.
Amazing.