Wednesday, January 28, 2009

She is Not Alone

There is an interesting medical condition in which individuals lose their ability to smell, in many cases due to some sort of head trauma. It's called anosmia. Really. Like amnesia, but it's your nose which has no memory. There's even a foundation that helps to advance the issue. It is evidently an affliction that affects many people.

In December, the New York Times profiled a woman who suffers from it. She had moved to New York and was unable to smell the aromas (good) and odors (bad) of the city that never sleeps. In 2006, she had been hit by a car and the olfactory neurons in her brain that control the ability to smell had been damaged. Then her sense of smell began to return. Her body had decided that she needed her ability to smell - especially the smell of freshly baked bagels coming from a New York bagel shop on a Sunday morning. It is noteworthy the woman being profiled was once a chef and food writer. The story in the Times was picked up by a blogger in New York who also suffers from anosmia.

I have to say, I would miss my sense of smell terribly. As a life-long allergy sufferer, I have gone days with a stuffed nose and the inability to smell things. But there is something about waking up to the smell of coffee (or bacon!) or the aromas coming out the kitchen at a holiday that I would miss tremendously if that sense was lost.

How about you? What sense could you not live without?

7 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

That reminds me a bit of a blog post I wrote a couple of years back.

Hang on let me check...

OK, here it is:
6th Sense

Unknown said...

Maybe losing my sense of taste would help me lose weight...

Anonymous said...

I'm with C in DC--there's a good chance that losing my sense of smell might help me lose some weight--I smell it, I want it--chocolate, Mexican food, pizza--I have no will power...and that's okay, I'd rather have no will power than no sense of smell...

Eryl Shields said...

Coffee, dark chocolate, lavender, the sea, summer rain, babies, my son, so many things...

EBK said...

I think the most important lesson that I have learned since losing my smell 12+ years ago is how truly adaptable human beings can be. I can honestly say that weeks and sometimes months go by without me thinking about the fact that I can't smell a thing. Which isn't to say that I'm not grateful for the five senses that I still have!

Lana Gramlich said...

Charles has never had a sense of smell, so he doesn't miss it, of course. He has an interesting story about how he learned that farts stink. *L*
I can't imagine it, personally. I could probably adapt, though. If I lost my SIGHT, however, I'd be completely devastated (no more painting, photography, sunsets, etc. Ugh!)

Brave Astronaut said...

Kim - yet more evidence that you and I must have been separated at birth. And I am giving some serious thought to your trip over here. I have some ideas.

C and Philly - I think taste is one of the ones that I could give up.

Eryl - tell me about it.

EBK - aren't you down to four? Or are you counting your "sixth" sense?

Lana - I agree, I think sight would be the one I might miss the most.